Aluminum hogshead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aluminum hogshead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

I just picked up this alum.hogshead can this be used on a
1926 eng or do I have to change some innards in the trans.
Thanks in advance JimAluminum hogshead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

You can but you would have to use a narrow brake band transmission drum. No place to mount a starter if that matters to you or not. I would just find a 26-27 hogshead and keep the larger brake drum if it were me. Depends on what you are doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Besides, that is more rare and worth more dollars. It should be put on a brass era T where it belongs.

I can't tell from the photo whether it is a '15, a '13/'14, or an '11/'12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

Late 11-12 I believe, I did not see any supports around the bolt bosses

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Yes, we've done that with the M 500 cars. It does require a bit of clearance work on the inside. This was on a 26/7 engine and I think had the wide brake band which is probably why we had to clear a couple of spots. I don't remember the weight difference but it sure was considerable.

Its hard to see but his one looks like it doesn't have the gussets so it would be a pretty rare early one like John says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

If you were wanting to use it on a later engine I'd suggest trading to someone that needs the 11 or 12 and use one of the later ones with the gussets because they're a lot stronger and not easily cracked at the bolt holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Thanks for the info Guy's I am just gathering parts for a future
Speedster project I have an eng. with no pan no flywheel
Magring or hogshead so I didn't even think about the no
Starter provision. I guess I'll put it in the classifieds and sell
Or trade for parts i need .
Thanks again Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

I don't believe I've seen one of those priced under $100, and they're usually around $250 to $300. I'd sell it and use the dough to get a 26-27 hogshead and some other parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:27 am:

I have a 1915 alu hogshead on a '27 engine in my primitive pickup - I think it's great since it saves lots of weight :-)
Only problems were the need to use a narrow brake drum (- but as it turned out, I think the brake works great) and there arn't any ears to connect to the block as the improved hogshead does. I made a steel bracket that connects from the magneto contact holes to the engine block, to make it rigid as a '26/'27 should be.

I don't miss the starter - it's a car for fun, and crank starting is fun :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Yes my speedster has 4 dip pan with a 15 hogs head and ring gear on flywheel
Need the small brake drum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Jim, I may have a hogs head that would work If you wanted to trade. In about an hour away but in baldwinsville all the time for business.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration