Michigan Bill of Sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Michigan Bill of Sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick-Ypsi, MI on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Hello All,
I'm about to buy a Model T in Michigan and was wondering if anyone has gone through the hassle of getting a title? I live in Michigan also.

Thanks,
Patrick
Ypsi, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 05:04 am:

Patrick, unless this is the deal of the century, look elsewhere. Michigan seems to get more and more difficult regarding titles. If the seller says it is easy, then he should do it.

All the information including surety bonds is on the Secretary of State website.

Been there and won't do it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 05:55 am:

Patrick,

I just sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Patrick, I bought a car on a bill of sale and got it titled. Basically it boils down to the stated value of the car. If it is less than $2,500, you just need an officer to sign a form (available at the SoS) that the engine number matches the bill of sale, then they will run a search and verify that the car isn't reported stolen. You will get a provisional title in the mail shortly thereafter (mine was three weeks if I remember correctly, might have been a little less than that).

If the stated value is $2,500 or more, in addition to the officer's inspection, you will need to secure a surety bond for twice the fair market value of the car from your insurance agent. This protects the state from any claims against the title down the road. It was relatively inexpensive to secure the bond at my agent, $75 I believe.

It is a bit of a pain, two or three trips to the DMV, but worth it in the end as long as you're sure the car isn't stolen. My tip to you is to smile, politely explain the situation, have the relevant information from the SoS website printed out (most DMV employees have no idea how to do this), and make sure you get one of those little pink slips that lets you cut the line for the next visit.

Hope this helps,
Zach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:36 am:

I have titled many cars in MI with Bill of Sale only. I've had SOS agents start talking about surety bonds. I thanked them, left, and gone to other SOS offices. Never needed the bond. They usually ask if the car has always been titled in MI, "yes". They then ask you to sign an affidavit, basically swearing that all the information you gave is true to your knowledge. They do a search for liens, warrants, etc. (Takes a few hours.) If that's clean, you fill out a title application and 2 - 3 weeks later, you have your title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Jerry,

Please let me know which SoS office you use. I didn't have such luck on my last go round when I tried to title a T. I recently went on an off-day and was the only person at the counter and they weren't the kind and friendly people I remembered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:03 am:

I will add, have a weight slip, a appraisal from a dealer you might know. a statement from the past owner as why no title, such as it was inherited or was in the family forever or bought from a estate sale. A statement from a law enforcement agent verifying the serial number. Go to a small license office or one that knows you personally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I've used Bruce's book with the published weights and they've always accepted that weight data.

I've also used the Old Cars Price Guide and presented photos of me next to the car holding the publication so they could see the car was unrestored and worth less than $2500.

If and when Patrick needs a surety bond, I found Hagerty to be very helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Tom,

I used the one on Harper Ave., between 9 & 10 mile, in Saint Clair Shores. A very large African-American lady knew exactly what to do. (sorry for the size and ethnicity reference. I don't have any other way to describe her in case you actually go there.) It was pretty funny, she told the other woman trying to help me to "get out of the way" and to let her show how it's done. It was perfect, easy & fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Jim,

I was told that a law enforcement agent's verification of VIN is no longer needed. That's what the affidavit is for. Still, it definitely can't hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Thanks Jerry,

I know the neighborhood. Near Motor City Antique Auto :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:57 am:

If the officer sign-off is no longer needed, that is a relatively new development. I titled my T in fall 2013 and it was required then, along with the affidavit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Zach,

Wasn't required during that time frame where I went. Different offices, different people, different rules I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Jerry,

Huh, guess I got the "by the book" office then. As in all things, it seems it pays to shop around!

Best,
Zach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:34 am:

I had a michigan TT once that had no title. Went to Secretay of State, got a form to fill out, called my local State police post and they sent out an officer to look it over.
I showed him the "VIN number" on the block, he had me run thru the safety functions- he was especially impressed with the wiper (hand powered, naturally) and the turn signals (again, with the hand!).
He was a bit put off by the lack of bumpers and seatbelts, but shrugged his shoulders and signed off on it.
It took 20 minutes of demonstrating the T to the officer and a 2 week wait to get my shiny new title mailed to me.

Of Course, that was 8 years ago............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 11:28 am:

Jerry,Was she hitting on you? With a grin Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Bud,

You know she was. I haven't been the same since!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick-Ypsi, MI on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Thanks everyone for the information. After see the touring car turned pickup. I've decided its not ever going to be road worthy. I'm still pursuing it but purely as a parts car or maybe a future doodlebug.

Thanks,
Patrick
Ypsi, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Patrick,

Or a possible theater prop?

I know a guy with a TT Roadster Flatbed Car Hauler that could pick the car up for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Each state is different. Vehicle registration in Kansas isn't the nightmare some other legislatures have made it. Our lawmakers prefer to ruin the state in other ways. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration