Accessory shoes, again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Accessory shoes, again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 12:47 am:

I have some cast shoes that are very thin but have no lining on them now and no holes for rivets. Were some accessory, lined shoe linings bonded on? I plan to test fit them tomorrow to see if there would be room for linings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:16 am:

Are you sure it's accessory shoes? Std 09-25 didn't have lining. Brake lining used to be riveted up into the 50's, then glued linings became more common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:29 am:

The original Ford small drum "parking brake" was just cast iron, with unfinished surfaces. Most standard replacements were also this way for many years, available until about the '70s. These may have been either a one-piece shoe, or split at the pivot bolt.
The lined cast iron shoes were an after-market item, available back in the model T days, and still made for them now.
This is why some people say that the brake handle "should not" be used as an "emergency brake". Those original unlined shoes could hold the wheel parked quite well with their rough cast surface against the steel drum. But they wore very fast if used to stop a rolling or driven vehicle. As they wore, they held the car less and less. Often to the point that they would not hold the car at all. Smooth (worn) cast iron against smooth steel has a very poor friction quality.
Originally, the hand brake was not intended to be used as a moving brake. However, with today's speeds and traffic, it is not wise to keep them limited that way.

It could be pointed out here that the first Ford model Ts (1909) had NO Babbitt in the upper block for the main bearings in the engine. The crankshaft ran against the cast iron. It worked quite well like that.

It could be possible to put lining onto a worn set of cast iron brakes. I have considered trying that myself, being broke and quite the cheapskate. However, generally, there isn't quite enough room for a good lining. I have checked this fit myself. The shoes made for this are somewhat smaller in radius to allow proper fitting with the lining installed. A somewhat worn pair of drums, well worn shoes, and a thin lining might work. Some trimming of the area where the cams open the shoes may also be necessary.
However, with all those worn thin parts? You could be inviting a breakage down the road that could cost way more than any savings you could make. Probably best to buy the shoes made for the task.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Good morning Roger K !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 01:30 am:

OK I think it's time to buy new shoes. I prefer to buy from Lang's. They offer two piece shoes with riveted lining or one piece shoes with bonded lining. I'm trying to decide which to buy. Help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 07:06 am:

Tommy, the one piece ones will fit. The two piece ones need much fettling to get them to fit. Your choice. I put a hacksaw cut almost through the one piece ones at the pivot bolt hole, so if they break, they will break there and not cause problems. They work just as well even after they break<

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Tommy, I agree with Allan. You won't regret buying the one piece shoe. World of easy difference installing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Done. Ordered from Lang's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration