Model T railcar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T railcar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Brenchley on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:45 am:

We have recently acquired a model T railcar which is now on display at Tenterden railway station. It is believed this is a runner but we would like some advise before attempting to start her. If anyone would like to pop down and give us advise I am sure we could run to a mug of tea!!
Regards

David
ea@KESR.org.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:53 am:

this is a good site for that information, good luck!
http://westernidahomodeltclub.com/Reviving_a_T.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 11:32 am:

I help restore a T railcar, let me know if you need any bad advice! A bit far away for me to 'drop in"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

David,
have you asked the UK club, the Model T Ford Register? http://www.modeltregister.co.uk/
We have 450 members and I'm sure we can find someone near you to assist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:46 am:

David, If you can't find anyone nearby, or can't wait, take a look at this comprehensive checklist from the Towe Museum in the US in this past Forum posting: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/297601.html?1341112656

Please, keep us posted on your progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

FYI, We would love to see a picture of the rail car. At least I would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Yes, pics please!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Brenchley on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 03:05 am:

Wow lots of info, thank you.
In touch with the UK club.
Once I work out how to upload photos I will.
David Dewey - you mean there is another one out there???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

David B,
Yes, quite a few actually, some narrow gauge too. There's also a small railbus somewhere out here built on a Model A chassis. There's also a large T railbus somewhere--Hawaii maybe? I forget
Here's a pic (not mine) of a narrow gauge one on the WW&F Rwy, a rebuilt narrow gauge railroad & museum in Alna,Maine
!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Why the rear view mirror? Is the T really going to change lanes?
Nice photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

I think it's to keep checking the tracks behind for a single headlight coming up from the rear .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

David Brenchley, I was lucky to take a ride in one some years ago here in the UK, video here ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQV7xZKcITQ

Regards John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Dang, that was cool !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

There are two more railcars in Maine, both originally operated on the 2 foot gauge Sandy River and Rangely Lakes Railroad...one with a Model T drivetrain survives at the Owls Head Transportation Museum:
http://owlshead.org/collections/detail/1925-ford-track-inspection-car
And the other, originally built using a REO drivetrain and later repowered with a model A Ford drivetrain, operated last summer at museum operations at Portland and Boothbay, Maine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8_GYogrAXY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 02:18 am:

Here's a picture of one in Nome, Alaska in 1926, appears to have been a '14 runabout. this 3' narrow gauge. Neat side curtains!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 05:13 am:

David,
is your railcar the one built by Colin Shutt? I believe he ran it on your railway some time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Brenchley on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 07:53 am:

Yes it is Colin, there are moves afoot to repeat the exercise...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 08:24 am:

let's turn this one back up on it's wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

D.D. when I was in Nome in 1980 there was a Fordson locomotive from the same railway, just sitting beside the street. I believe it converted by the Skagit Steel works, 30 miles from my house. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

That photo of the T and the steam locomotive in Alna, ME is a two footer. Maine had lots of two-foot gauge logging railroads in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Right John, I should have mentioned the two-foot.
David S., neato! In that group of pics I found that one, there was a pic or two of the Fordson, very interesting arrangement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:27 am:

And one from New Zealand:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Brenchley on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 05:22 am:

Update, the engine runs but the gearbox is dubious. Intentions are to have it up and running for next years anniversary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

What a neat turntable it is sitting on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration