Trans to neutral ' 26T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trans to neutral ' 26T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Shannon on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 11:26 am:

How do I do it ? read a manual ; Still confused, maybe I don't read well Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 11:29 am:

Are you asking about how to adjust the linkage to achieve a free neutral? If so, here you go:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

If you are asking how to put a properly adjusted T transmission into neutral, there are two ways. One is to simply push part way down on the left pedal (Sometimes called a clutch, other times called the Low pedal). There's not a magic amount to say push it. Lot's of times, people say half, but it's not necessarily HALF way down, but it is definitely somewhere between all the way up and all the way down. If you feel around carefully, you can feel a little detent or increase in pressure required. When you feel that, THAT is Neutral. the other way is to pull the parking brake lever to the rear. Pulling it half way (There's that word again) will bring the transmission into neutral. Pulling farther back applies the parking brake in addition to putting it in neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

If your asking to find how to find or see if your car in in neutral place the hand brake straight up. That's the position for neutral if the adjustments are made right. If you have your car parked and if the adjustments shown above are right you should be able to pull up on the crank when the hand brake is straight up. The car shouldn't move when you do this.
The car might slightly move if the engine is cold. That's normal. When the engine is hot it won't move. IF the adjustments are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

I am still fighting a neutral free issue right now on my 26 coupe. Gonna try a re adjust Monday when I am off from work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

I usually just hold the clutch pedal in neutral with my foot, however, for a more precise reverse move, I put the car in neutral with the hand brake lever. I never heard anybody say this, so maybe there's something wrong with what I do. But when putting the car in neutral with the hand brake lever, I just slowly move the hand brake lever back while watching the low pedal. You can see it move when you slowly pull the hand brake lever back, and as soon as I see the low pedal STOP moving, I stop pulling the hand brake lever back and just leave it in that position as held by the pawl. This way, I know that when I move the car in any direction while making "close-quarter" maneuvers, I know that the hand brake shoes are not dragging on the drums. FWIW,.... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

I always put the handbrake in neutral before I use reverse. Then I can use my left foot on the reverse pedal and have my right foot ready to use the foot brake as needed.

No word back from William, I wonder what his real question was? Hopefully somebody on this thread covered it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Shannon on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 05:28 am:

that's what I need to do . an adjustment ! when I can get out to the garage. thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration