Moron '14 Windshield Parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Moron '14 Windshield Parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Maybe I should have said "More on...."
I opted to make new supports rather than straighten and weld the old ones or buy the nice reproductions available. Luckily I found some 5/8 dia. .065 wall steel tubing. I believe this is a few thousandths thicker than original ones. My 12 ton press and a simple die flattened the ends well. A wood form let me bend the curve. I used a thin sheet of steel to shield most of the flame from the wood while heating the tubing. I will wait to drill the bottom hole until final assembly. This should eliminate the need for the original slot.

These would not pass the scrutiny that reproduction parts would require but were affordable and simple to make.

The filler blocks however are better than the original cast ones which sometimes break. I simply sawed some 3/4 steel shaft (good exercise :-)) offset down it's length and filed to size. Then drilled and tapped. (I have used the aluminum filler blocks on other projects and they work very well.)

The FUN continues.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Great stuff, Richard!

You need a band saw. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Always enjoy seeing your handi-work Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

I'll take a set of straight ones for 1913 please :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Well, you sure got this moron's attention ! Beautiful work Rich, thanks for showing us. I'd love to come up and see what you're doing, but I don't want to stop you from working !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Looks good as always!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Awe-some.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Geez, I envy skills like yours. Nice job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

What type of chord and switch is on that saw. I have two of them that are missing the power supply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

:-) Dallas :-)
I have saved enough by not buying power tools to afford exercise equipment but don't think I need it yet. Hand sawing, filing and sanding are their own rewards. I do have a Sawzall that I use on heavier jobs. I also use an electric drill.
Thanks for looking.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

When you post Richard I always look in amazement! You do wonderful hand crafted work. I enjoy your project posts. Pushes me into being creative. It must be the bowl full of spark plugs for breakfast that fires your creativity. Keepemcomin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Thanks Dallas. I find these things fun and interesting. I am glad if others do also.

I think it is the porcelain on porcelain first thing in the morning. I like them just as they are firing.
Rich :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

The original "breakfast of champions" . . . that "snap, crackle, pop" ain't from rice krispies !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Its shocking but they give me heartburn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Awesome post! Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Today. This is the glass retainer on the 4th side of the glass. Apparently the plate glass came out in pieces. The key stock, clamps and Vise-Grips work well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration