Running poorly uphill

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Running poorly uphill
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william Ackerson on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

My 1911 has suddenly started running poorly uphill. It bucks,spits and almost dies. I have removed the carb, cleaned it and replaced it ( tested the fliat and it was good), i also replaced the in line filter. When i disconnect the fuel line at the carb i get a nice steadt stream of fuel. Sometimes the car will not make it up the hill, sometimes it doesnt have TOO much trouble. Problem is not consistant. It only happens in high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Try the flow from the drain under the carb too - will confirm the float valve isn't stuck. If it's a ball valve = Grose jet, it may be the cause of trouble..

Did you check & clean the timer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

If you are using a paper filter, I would also remove and test without it. The paper filter units are known to cause fuel flow issues.

What carb are you using? another thought is the float, is it adjusted correctly? What is the float material?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

I suspect the magic words may be "in line filter", especially if you have only two or three gallons in the tank. On level ground, one gallon isn't enough and two are plenty. But climbing a hill, especially with a filter, changes that. Ditch the filter and try it with a full tank and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

William ; Throw away that IN LINE FILTER as far as possible.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Definitely the filter. I had the same problem! I was almost stranded and found out that the filter had to go. Having no way to connect the ends of the fuel line together on the side of the road, I stabbed several holes in the paper element inside a bunch of times with a coat hanger, and reinstalled the fangled thing.

Problem solved!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

A problem with a paper filter is that if there are small particles in the gas, it will clog the filter. If it ran with the filter for quite a while and then suddenly stopped running good, I would suspect the filter might be clogged and a replacement might correct the problem.

The Model T was made to run with a sediment bulb under the gas tank with a screen in it and the screen could also get clogged. So there is another possible cause. If you have a good sediment bulb and screen, it is not usually necessary to run an in line filter.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

One of my 26s came with a filter on it and it never ran right stumbled and sputtered and as soon as I drained the tank and removed the filter never a problem again. Just what happened with my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Any water at all can stop the flow in a paper filter.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

I had this problem several years ago.I would run with the best of them in the morning of our tour. In the afternoon, I would have the problems you describe. The issue was I had a full tank of gas starting in the morning and by afternoon I was down to 1/2 tank or less. The pressure of the gas in the tank kept it from vapor lack. I increased the size of the gas line and made sure it was as far away from heat as I could. NO PROBLEM since. Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 06:13 am:

Agreed with all the others---and I learned the hard way too as I thought I knew more than these guys. Take that filter and throw it far away. A sediment bowl on the tank is more than adequate.

Also, make sure your fuel line goes down from the tank, and around the pan ear area starts to go back up to the carb and maintains that up ward angle. My line I had made went up from the pan ears toward the carb, but then I put another bend in it and it went slightly back downward before the carb fitting causing an airlock at times.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration