Differential

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Differential
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

I just finished rebuilding my rear axle and driveshaft. On the differential housings three studs I used the castellated nuts and cotter pins. Now I'm seeing pictures where these 3 fastners ARE SAFETY WIRED. Am I wrong? I safety wired the 10 ring gear bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Can you remember if you had 3 studs or 3 nut and bolts?, cotter pins are fine in the bolt ones but the studs need wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Norman, there are two different differential types, one has bolts, the other studs. Studs should be safety wired because they can back out, the bolts cant and only need the cotter pins. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

I will disassemble and safety wire. I even bought "THE MODEL T FORD FRONT AND REAR AXLES" book which doesn't talk about 2 different fasteners!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

John

Think you meant to post 'lock washers' instead of cotter pins for the later style pinion housing that uses bolts.

The hex bolt heads have lock washers under each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

My bad, thought this was about pinion housing, of course you are correct on the bolt style diff. case housings that are fastened with castle nuts and cotters!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Dan, you have probably forgotten more about T's than i have actually ever learned, so you are forgiven for speed reading through this thread. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 08:26 am:

pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration