For those who have followed my '23 runabout rebuild, I started the engine for the first time a couple of days ago. It wouldn't start initially because the engine rebuild had sat for a long time and the rings had no lubrication to establish a good seal for drawing in the gas.
I squirted some oil in each cylinder, worked it in by cranking and got it started ... let it run for only a couple of minutes. Last night I put oil in the cylinders again and let it sit until this evening. After dinner tonight I put the plugs in and it started on the second hand crank ... running steadily at idle, then faster as I advanced the spark and adjusted the carburetor. Let it run for about eight minutes. Tomorrow night I'll install and fill the radiator for a more extended trial. Little by little working in the rings. Each time I get more vacuum and compression.
Sounds like you'll be driving soon. Nice!
Sounds like things are on track Mark.
I'd love to see a video of it running if you have the ability.
Or maybe a Daguerrotype.
Mark My '19 engine sat for 10 or more years before I attempted to get it running. I had the same problem, including bad coils. Once I got the coils rebuilt by Ron P. and towed it around the area it ran and ran good ever since. Then engine was "Poured and bored and refitted by an expert on "T" engines. My '17 was poured and bored and it sounds completely different, not even close. .
So I know the agony you have been going thru, but when it all settles down it will be a pleasure to drive it. I have to get my Hack out and test drive it after replacing the left axle.
As one of the Guys on here says go out and enjoy the ride.
Steve .... given it's a model T ... it will be a tintype. ;-)
Mark, I bought a speedster project in June 2016, the engine was not installed still in a short block configuration. The paperwork showed the engine was done or exchanged by Mac's on 5-5-97. This past June, a year later got it fired up for the first time. I don't deal with Mac's but it would be interesting to know who did there engines 20 years ago. So far I have put about one hour of break-in time on it.