Initial Start Update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Initial Start Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

For those who have followed my '23 runabout rebuild, I started the engine for the first time a couple of days ago. It wouldn't start initially because the engine rebuild had sat for a long time and the rings had no lubrication to establish a good seal for drawing in the gas.

I squirted some oil in each cylinder, worked it in by cranking and got it started ... let it run for only a couple of minutes. Last night I put oil in the cylinders again and let it sit until this evening. After dinner tonight I put the plugs in and it started on the second hand crank ... running steadily at idle, then faster as I advanced the spark and adjusted the carburetor. Let it run for about eight minutes. Tomorrow night I'll install and fill the radiator for a more extended trial. Little by little working in the rings. Each time I get more vacuum and compression.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Sounds like you'll be driving soon. Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Sounds like things are on track Mark.

I'd love to see a video of it running if you have the ability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 12:34 am:

Or maybe a Daguerrotype. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 12:44 am:

Mark My '19 engine sat for 10 or more years before I attempted to get it running. I had the same problem, including bad coils. Once I got the coils rebuilt by Ron P. and towed it around the area it ran and ran good ever since. Then engine was "Poured and bored and refitted by an expert on "T" engines. My '17 was poured and bored and it sounds completely different, not even close. .
So I know the agony you have been going thru, but when it all settles down it will be a pleasure to drive it. I have to get my Hack out and test drive it after replacing the left axle.

As one of the Guys on here says go out and enjoy the ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 04:16 am:

Steve .... given it's a model T ... it will be a tintype. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Mark, I bought a speedster project in June 2016, the engine was not installed still in a short block configuration. The paperwork showed the engine was done or exchanged by Mac's on 5-5-97. This past June, a year later got it fired up for the first time. I don't deal with Mac's but it would be interesting to know who did there engines 20 years ago. So far I have put about one hour of break-in time on it.
Sam

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration