OT sort of - EAA Flyin Oshkosh WI

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT sort of - EAA Flyin Oshkosh WI
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown Drury, MA on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 08:27 am:

At the FOrd HAnger at the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh WI July 24-30 they will be giving tours of the grounds in a Model T. EAA's Ford Trimotor Plane will also be on the grounds. CHeck it out if you are in the area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:09 am:

I believe that a ride in the Ford Trimotor runs about $70. I took a ride in Ft. Myers, FL earlier this year. It was money well-spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:23 am:

I just rode in it at Willmar Minnesota. For $55 dollars more, I got the co-pilot seat. It was great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:42 am:

We're about 50 miles away, certainly not by O'Hare or LAX, but we get to notice the more than usual air activity leading up to and during the EAA. Much more relaxed after the gathering ends. Am looking forward to 'catching' the Blue Angels! Here's a link:
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/features-and-attractions/airventure-highlight/ blue-angels-to-osh

The Packers' Home game fly-overs have their staging area above us. Adds to the 'goose-bumps' hearing the after-burners kick in while we have the National Anthem on TV. (It's our most economical ticket!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

I was lucky enough to see a Trimotor fly over my house just the other day. It was flying was low and slow, but a pleasure to watch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

The Model T rides are given by our Dairyland Tin Lizzies Chapter of the MTFCA. There is no charge and you sign up for the ride at the Ford Building. The rides are only given on Monday through Friday, from 10am to Noon, and 1 to 3pm. The rides are on a prescribed route only (we can't just take you anywhere you'd like to go). They go past some of the demonstration buildings, the bleachers and Aircraft discussion area, the WWII Army encampment site, past lots of homebuilt planes, and it crosses over the runway twice. The Dairyland Tin Lizzies are guests of Ford and other Model T's cannot participate in this.

I'm a member of the Dairyland Tin Lizzies and enjoy participating in this.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

A great experience for pilots and non-pilots alike. Besides all of the outdoor activities, EAA has a wonderful museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown Drury, MA on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Keith, what a great contribution your chapter does. Kind of like what the EAA does with their Young Eagles program that takes youngsters up for a flying experience. THe Flyin is featuring the second flying B29 this year "DOC" just completed by 16 years of volunteer work.

Stan b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Stan, I'm fascinated by the B29's and can't wait to see "DOC".

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Keith, Karen and I drove out to Kansas and saw DOC make it's first flight last July. The flight lasted less than a minute but I'm real glad we went. Beautiful airplane! Also got to meet the geezer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown Drury, MA on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Beautiful photos and article of DOC in the July issue of EAA Sport Aviation magazine.
Stan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

I have a question for the EAA folks and it is Ford related. I also just finished reading McCullough's book on the Wright Brothers.

Ford funded a reconstruction of the Wright brothers first plane. It was on display at the Ford Centennial an is now on display in the Ford museum. They took it to Kitty Hawk, built the steel track and tried to fly it It never left the ground. I have never heard why it did not fly. What is the rest of the story? It was supposed to be and exact recreation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Cameron,
The trimotor looks like a WWII German JU-52 troop transport.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 08:41 am:

Hi, Vern. I believe the pic is of a Ford. The JU-52 has low wings.

Tomorrow, July 17, is the one year anniversary of DOC's first flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Here are three Doc videos. There are others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgiTE9MLHuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsiP5KZ04X4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yz72PkSXd4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:49 am:

I'm not much into flying, in fact, not at all, but have always loved the B-29 flying fortress. I try to imagine the connection the crews of those lovely ladies had with them. Second home for some I bet. DOC was restored beautifully! You can't beat, let alone not recognize, the beautiful sound of those four engines roaring. I would actually ride in this one! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Not to hijack Steve's thread, but here's another real good one. Bit long, 7 minutes, but chronicles it from it's original build to the present. Features one of the ladies who helped build DOC, now she's in her 90s. Bless those who saved this wonderful plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_AZeMRqCfg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 10:19 am:

A couple weeks ago we had wings and wheels at a local airport. This B-17 was taking people for rides .$400 a person. Too rich for me but very cool. One of the retired firemen was a navigator on one. Great stories from him. The pilot said it burned 200 gallons of fuel an hour.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration