1916 Touring Car Seat Springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1916 Touring Car Seat Springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Does anyone recognize this seat spring? It is what is in my 1916 touring car, but is very different from the "correct" replacement spring from Snyders. Is this from another car? Or, did Fisher Body use a different spring than the rest?

seat spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:35 am:

It looks a little different (better) than the backrest I got from Snyder's for my 1919. The fit on mine (and others who have posted before) is a little off. If yours is serviceable, I'd use it. If it fits really well, talk with the folks at Snyder's, maybe they'd like to use it as a pattern so they can be more accurate with their reproduction.
Regardless, please take (and post) a lot of pictures of the attachment and the fit. I see yours even has the cardboard used so the springs wouldn't rattle. By 1916 Ford was doing all of the upholstery, so I wouldn't think it was a Fisher thing.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:58 am:

That is the correct original spring. The same as on my original un restored 17. The big difference from Snyders is the curved part at the top of the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Yours looks in excellent shape, you might want to see if Snyders wants a better pattern, but I wouldn't think twice about re-using it. Oh, and yes, it looks correct to my eye. I wonder if the different body makers used different pattern springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Tom,

Yes, it is one of the type of springs that was used on some of the 1916? - 19xx? open cars.

Somehow I think that last automated update to my computer wiped out some files. Good news I have a back up -- but it is packed up.

See the following for backrest springs similar to yours:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/329020.html?1356213511

See the posting below for photos of our Apr 1915 engine serial number (Blackie). It turns does not have the springs going up and curing back down like yours. See photos at:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/274107.html?1331812196

Note the Beaudett bodies that used a wood seat frame used a different front seat back rest spring. See:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/713982.html?1484582170

For David Dewey -- yes, I think the time frame (probably not just a year but a range of months with overlap) as well as the body maker. As Ford began upholstering all the open cars -- it probably was standardized for any given time frame. But clearly even in the photos of the 1915 bodies in "Ford Shops" some were the wood seat frame and others were the wooden seat framed. And I suspect they were done slightly differently.

Always more to learn.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 06:33 am:

Tom That is the same kind of spring my 16 touring had when I removed the original upholstery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Suggestion: those of you who have found this style spring on your car, post us the make of the body and if you have the body date (if not, original engine number). Maybe we can make some sense of the different seat springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

My is a Beaudett body made in May of 16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Turns out I bought the earlier spring for the 1914-15 cars. Big difference. Ordered correct springs from Snyders Thursday evening and they arrived today.

Now, I have a new question. How are the springs attached to the seat back? The old ones (maybe original?) had six sheet metal clips to screw into the upper tack strip.

old spring

That brings the upper rod to the back of the seat tub. Snyders spring does not have these clips, and the way it fits the car,I'm not sure there should be clips. The spring looks like it would rest against the inside of the seat tub naturally. Any ideas on the "right way" to do this?

new spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

Follow-up: Discovered a number of things since July 22, many of them with the help of the Model T drawings at the Benson Ford Research Center. Biggest discovery was the seat back spring made by Snyders is not quite like the T-8151 drawing. Fortunately, I cold modify the spring to have the 3/4" setback for the top wire relative to the base of the springs.

Here is a portion of the spring drawing showing the offset.

t-8151-1

And this is how the Snyder spring looks after modifying the upper rear corners by bending the top wire approximately 45 degrees.

top 2

Another discovery was that there was a T-8374 Spring Support to support the bottom of the seat back spring. This was essential, as the spring unit did not extend down far enough to go into the sheet metal trough at the base of the seat back. The part is simple. Just a 25 inch long piece of wood, 3/8"" thick at the top and tapering to a sharp point over its 1-1/4" height. I used two of the large paint stir sticks from Home Depot.

Seat support

Once those changes and additions were made, the spring now fits very well and is ready for covering.

final Fit

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration