Wrapping springs on a speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wrapping springs on a speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

What are people using to wrap springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Restoration Supply Company in California sells a period correct tape used for wrapping springs. That is what I have used. Show us more pictures of this speedster, please!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

This is a new one on me. What is the reason for wrapping the springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Neat looking leather rebound strap setup!

I would complete the leather look by making or buying leather lace-up spring gaiters:

http://www.mccoysupholstery.com/spring-gaiters.html

http://www.wefco-gaiters.com/

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

In the early days springs were covered with canvas or leather gaiters to keep out the dirt.
Race cars wrapped the springs tight with cord then covered with friction tape to make them stiffer, in the days before friction shocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Speaking of friction tape. You can buy new "original" friction tape from your local Volkswagen dealer. I recently purchased 3 rolls, it looks feels and works just like the good old stuff.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Home Depot carries black cloth friction tape in the electrical section if y don't have a VW dealer near by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:22 am:

My local Ace Hardware also carries black cloth friction tape, yours may as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeremy gibson on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:14 am:

That makes me think, could I use rebound straps as an anti-roll thing? Like a swaybar/anti-rollbar. Or would it snap my rear axel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Is this the race car with the Oilzum graphics that used to attend the SCVMTC speedster runs? I haven't seen that car in years. It was always one of my favorite racers. Can we see some overall pictures of it? Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

yes, no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

I posted all I had of that speedster. All my old pictures died years ago so what I have now is more the begining of the digital age. If memory serves they had stopped running that speedster which is why these shots are in the garage. I did however include some "other" pictures of similar speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes, Lodi, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

The gray car was built by Liberty Garage in Santa Clara and it is the Oilzum Special.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Thanks, Chad. That's what I thought. I have been in that garage before...
Thanks for posting these pictures. This "group" has some of the best speedsters around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration