Noisy Rattling Brake Rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Noisy Rattling Brake Rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Anyone have any tips to quiet my rattling brake rods. At certain RPMs the rattle has gotten horrendous.

The noise appears to be coming from the cleaves pinned connection up front where they connect to the brake lever assembly.

The rods connect to the assembly with a fork like adjustment device. I think the noise is coming from to much clearance at the fork. I was thinking about finding a few plastic washers to put between the metal components to take up the space. I have not pulled it apart so the cleaves pins could be worn too. The noise has gotten really bad in the past month.

I'm feeling old today, I have forgotten the technical terms of some of the parts.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Maybe try o-rings instead if washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

I like that idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

you might try adjusting the rod about 1/16 inch which will cause you to have to turn the end of the rod a bit to get the pin in place. That will hold things tight. Tighten up the lock nut to keep things in this position.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

There are oversize clevis pins available: https://www.modeltford.com/item/2564OS.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

I have had rattles with Rocky Mountain rods on a 17 T. I slit an appropriate sized 5" piece of clear plastic tubing and slipped it over the rod. It worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Very first thing to do is what Roger Karlsson posted - install oversize clevis pins. Ream the holes if necessary but make sure the pins are nice and snug in the holes.

We installed oversize pins on my dad's '17 touring at both ends - at the brake lever yoke and on the backing plate levers on the rear axle.

The above eliminated the rattling. Occasionally oil the pins to keep wear at a minimum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

I added rubber hose around the rods where it goes through the support brackets. Wire tied the hose pieces in place and put grease inside them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

This was a common problem with the Model T especially with the rough roads experienced years ago. My 1919 Touring has period anti-rattle clips/springs on the end of each rod. Maybe someone can post a picture of the clips as they were very common and came in many sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

See this thread for brake rod anti-rattlers:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/173455.html

I've also had a brake handle ant-rattler that was included in a set of brake rod anti-rattlers.

Anti-rattlers come with their own set of problems, such as wearing grooves in the parts to which they are attached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Like James said. I cut small vacuum lines shorter than the brackets n slipped them over the brake rods and into the brackets. Can't see them in there. My2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Eric I have a set of those anti rattles on my front end. They came with the T, no clue if they help or not. I see no reason to remove them.

As for slipping a tube over the rod. There is no room in the support bracket for them. I applied a couple layers of a 3M teflon tape I have (not pipe lubricant).

I have not gone for a ride yet. It wI'll be a couple weeks before I order the oversized cleves, as I am prepping an order to test a spare engine my 13 yr old want to get run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

I plan on using a piece of shrink tubing on mine. Doesn't take up much room and with a little grease on them they should last until everything else starts to rattle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Jason,

It's very easy. Loosen the brake rod support arms that clamp over the radius rods and slide the arms either forward or backward on the radius rod until they put just bit of lateral push or pull on the brake rods. It'll be enough to quiet the rattle but not so much that it binds the rods. Put a little grease there also to compensate for the added rubbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 12:05 am:

I'll have to go back and double check, I recall it being a stamped metal bracket with no adjustments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 07:50 am:

It's a stamped bracket, yes - but it clamps on the radius rods and by removing the screw you can adjust where it sits on the radius rods - and thus cause a slight sideway pressure on the brake rod. Excellent suggestion, Jerry :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 08:45 am:

It's a good way to use that worn out garden hose. Slip a 6" section over 1 rod where it crosses. 2 clamps to keep it in place. If it rattles at the clevis you have a worn out clevis.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration