Timing marks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Timing marks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fritz Hady Mt. Top,Pa. on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

The only timing mark I could find is the word FORD on my crank gear,It;s bad enough that the punch mark on the cam gear was on the back side. Can someone clear this up for me.Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

What gear do you have and is it facing the right way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Not sure what you're asking. Yes, FORD is sometimes a timing mark on the crank gear. The punch mark on the cam gear should NOT be on the backside. Gear flipped over??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Steve, I could be wrong, but it looks like timing is off by one tooth? Shouldn't the 2 "0's" be lined up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:58 am:

I think it's correct - Here's a larger picture showing the relation between the keyway and the Ford marking on the small timing gear:

hjk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Mike

You could never align the two "0's" since they are both in the valleys between the teeth. I'm not sure you can even call the one next to the Ford script a 0. Looks more like a pigtail to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

I suppose that's right, just seems a tad vague to me. I'm just accustomed to seeing more precise marks when working on other engines. So with T engines, the "Ford" script IS the timing mark on the crank gear.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration