'26-'27 pickup bed resurrection completed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '26-'27 pickup bed resurrection completed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:24 am:

About 2 months ago I bought this rough and rust pickup bed at Luray. I also was fortunate to pick up a set of old splash aprons dirt cheap to use as the basis of the lower side patch panels. The originals were all but rusted away. These really worked out well. The tailgate was just about beyond hope and the front panel was eaten away at the bottom and the battery kickout was smashed in. Bob's came to the rescue with a solid, but beat up tailgate and front panel. Both took at lot of straightening and welding, but they worked out. I got used bed strips from another forum member and made my own floor boards.

It was a lot of work, and at the beginning, I wasn't really sure if it was salvageable. But at the price I paid, there was little to lose trying. It's not pretty, but my goal was to make it serviceable. I accomplished that, so I'm satisfied. So here are a couple photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Here is what I started with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:28 am:

Two thumbs up !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Great job! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Steve, you did a great job bringing that back to a useable state. When will we see it mounted up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Good question Chad. My plan is to mount it on my 24 cut off touring. The only issue is that I have not yet cut it off. The car has been siting for a couple years too. Now that I'm done with the bed, I can get back to the car. I'm sure some will howl about cutting off the touring. But its in kind of rough shape and sagging. The parts I no longer need will be offered back to the hobby. It's a period authentic modification. For me it will suit my needs better and be more fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:23 am:

You painted the boards black too, like they are supposed to be. What a change. Good job too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 11:43 am:

I thought about varnishing the boards. But in keeping with it being a resurrection and not expected to be pretty, I decided on plain black. While other things aren't as original, I figured it was just as easy to do it the right way, as it was the wrong way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Looks great. Much better than the scrap pile. Cant wait to see it mounted on the cut off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Real nice job Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

I like "serviceable". Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:13 am:

I just noticed, it appears you have a Model A tailgate too. No big deal, they work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Larry - what's the difference? I got it along with the '25 front panel from Bob's. I assumed they came from the same bed. Either way, it works.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration