Tumbler Lube ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tumbler Lube ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

The tumblers in my ignition are getting a little sticky. Is there anything safe i can use that wont mess with the switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Has anyone used the dry graphite? I inherited a small squeeze bottle from my Dad, but have not used it on the key switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

The lock isn't actually the switch so I would think that dry or liquid graphite would suffice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Do not use graphite, It will short out the switch. Use something like 3 in 1 oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Putting graphite in the key lock tumblers is not putting graphite in the switch. The key lock consists of a series of flat wafers and are not actually "tumblers" found in modern locks. A dry lube would be preferred.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Oil in that lock cylinder will attract dust and cause problems ultimately

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

This is "the stuff". Plain dry graphite makes a mess if you're trying to get it into a vertical lock. This uses alcohol to get the graphite where it needs to go and then flashes off leaving just the graphite. It'll make it turn like new.

And MADE IN THE USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

I have never had the tumbler/switch apart, so my main concern was whatever i lubed it with migrating down to the electrical connections. I, like Jim had heard never to use graphite because it conducts electricity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

I use a "white" graphite I bought about 1957. It's never caused a problem. The guts of the switch are isolated from the lock cylinder as Jack said, so apply your graphite and don't worry about it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration