New generator parts a rant, well sort of

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New generator parts a rant, well sort of
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Ah poop! Putting a generator together for Don Lyon. Everything was going great, new winding's, bearings, everything cleaned and painted. Brush plate installed, went to put the nice new lead on the very nice post with the square that fits in the nice new bushing, oh poop it has a round hole that is too small for the square on the post!!!! :-(
I think I will cut a slot in the post head and solder it on. But darn!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

It takes about a minute with a needle file to make the round hole square to fit that bolt, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

File the round hole a little bigger and square (snug fit). That's what I did a few weeks ago with mine and it worked out just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 10:39 am:

There are two different insulators starter and generator
1 square hole and 1 round hole, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 11:26 am:

I will file the round hole square. I thought of that but at the time was kinda the last straw in the string of things not going as planed. Better to put it down and start fresh later. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

I have a new tool in my shop. It's a punch to make the square terminal ends. My friend Bill Lucius built it for me and it works like a dream. I make up all my own leads with flag terminals I purchase from McMAster Carr.
Here's the punch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I do as Brent does and make my own but I have punch machine with dies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Took the file to it and went from round to square. :-)
Neat tool./\ Just wish if you are going to sell the square post terminal it would be nice to sell a lead with same hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 06:25 am:

Snyder's will be having the correct lead very soon. I have talked to Don and I will be supplying him terminals in the next few weeks. These terminal connectors fit the original and repop terminals perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:28 am:

I have nipped the end off the original before and placed the washer portion on top of a new ring terminal having a large hole and soldered the two together. Works well. I do like the idea of a die to form the square end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Along those lines, it would be nice to see heavy original terminal ends for all the wires on a Model T loom, instead of those thin ones they now use. Now, for my second rant. I've had to have made wire looms for two different 1925 Model T cars that I have owned. The so called show car looms that were available at the time were not as advertised. I had a local loom maker make mine exactly like the originals, and he even wove the Ford tags in them. It cost me three times more to do, but at least it's right!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration