Uh ohh! Now what?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Uh ohh! Now what?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Hey Guys...little help needed!

I heard something "tinging" the other day for about 30 seconds, then stopped. Everything seemed to be ok afterwards.

After returning home, I decided to drain the oil and see what came out.... nothing. After the oil was drained I stuck my finger in the drain hole and felt something. I could not get it out. Not knowing what it was, I dropped the pan....nothing.

After "fishing" for a couple of days, I finally pulled out a cotter pin. I cannot see anythig missing from top of trans or bottom of engine. I don't really know where to start looking.

A bit of a backstory...this was my G'pa's car, in his later years he had pretty severe Alzheimer's. He worked on the car daily, it is possible he dropped it in.

Is it possible to put a few hundred miles on the car without noticing anything if this was the case??

Any hep appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Often that sound is a loose crank pully. Take the belt off & reach down & give it a good tug. I bet that's what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

I have a similar situation. I've owned my '23 Touring for a year and know very little of it's past. I bought it from the widow of the man who restored it, ground up about 10 years ago. The transmission cover has been off 3-4 times during the year for adjustments & strainer cleaning etc. The last time I found a piece of steel stuck to the magnet measuring about 1" long and about 1/4" wide, rounded on both ends and a slight bend in the middle. I can't imagine what it is or was. I have decided it was dropped in at some time in the past and now I'm just glad it's out of my engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Dennis: Yes it is possible to go thousands of miles with so metallic piece floating around in the engine/ transmission. When helping a club member change a set of bands, my wrench slipped into the transmission. while fishing it out with a piece of wire I came up with a coil spring, the size that goes between the ends of the bands. We will never know how long it had been in there but it showed no noticeable wear. Brad

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration