My Rajo C-35 has an exhaust leak between the head and manifold, and it's raising a fuss. I assume the manifold needs careful inspect and the gasket(s) replaced.
Do the Rajo C-35 head and intake-exhaust manifold use a stock Ford Model T gasket? If not, what do you gurus recommend I do?
I've had the same issue with my Rajo C. The Rajo doesn't use a stock T gasket. You'll need to make a trip to your local parts store and buy a sheet of exhaust gasket material and make a gasket. If your manifold is warped or pitted at all, I would suggest taking it to a reputable automotive machine shop and have it surfaced.
Two images of what's left of my C-35 gasket.
The material appears to be woven asbestos.
I think Chaffin's Garage is the go-to place for most things Rajo (actually Mark Chaffin). Although most of the parts suppliers should have the head gaskets. I don't know if manifold gaskets are made specifically for any given Rajo head or not. I do know that there are several models of eight valve Rajo heads, and the manifolds are not interchangeable between most of them. I know there are at least three "C" series heads with different sizes, counts, and spacing of manifold ports. Gland and ring gaskets should likely work on many of them, and are available in many sizes. Unfortunately, I don't have any current information on who carries those.
I have been hoping someone that has one of these heads and would be more current of what is available would respond. Hopefully soon?
Thank you, everybody.
I saw an earlier thread on which Mark Chaffin warned about overtightening the manifold bolts. I've looked around for a good torque figure, but have found nothing.
Removing the bolts, tonight, was a relative breeze. Tomorrow I plan to purchase some exhaust manifold gasket material that can be cut/trimmed to shape.
If anybody has an idea what torque should be applied, or if you know of a good pre-formed gasket, thanks in advance for your info.
On the C-35 manifold--Drill the bolt hole out on both sides of the open manifold and insert a tube.
Then place J-B Weld on the tube on the engine side of the manifold and weld the tube to the outside of the manifold. Then in tightening the manifold bolts the manifold is less likely to get over tightened and break.
I obtained some exhaust gasket material from a run-of-the-mill parts house, and completely removed the intake-exhaust manifold from the head.
I've always known there was re-work of the manifold, but had no idea it was so extensive until I was able to remove what must be furnace cement from a yellow metal substrate.
Beggars can't be choosers so I'll put a new coat of furnace cement over the bright metal and elsewhere, and I'll try to make it look like iron :P
Wish me luck. Worst that can happen is I get to obtain or make a new intake-exhaust system.
I'm working on a header plate to replace the RAJO cast manifold for all three commercial Rajo heads. the model 30, the C or C-35, and the 35C. As a byproduct, I will also have the patterns to make gaskets. If interested let me know, this will let me know how much of an interest there is and if there is enough I will have some made and ready for Cameron's Swap Meet in November.
Jerome, I am definitely interested in the gaskets and header plate.
By the way, if you're in Hays, KS then your in close proximity to the paternal side of my family. Walker, Hall, Frank, Wasinger, Dreiling Shoenberger are among my family names in the area. My English family moved from Michigan down to Colorado and Kansas in the late 1880s or 1890s, and my Germans immigrated to the Hays area, from Russia, in the 1870s.
David, I immigrated here 37 years ago from Colorado. Very familiar with those names, do you still have family here? If so let me know when you're thru the area. By the way this year we are celebrating our 150-year anv. Nice speedster!
I don't think anyone to whom I'm closely kin is still around there, but I've spoken with local distant cousins and intend to visit. I just _might_ be through there next week. Work always makes my personal plans iffy.
Yesterday I coated the rough parts of the Rajo C-35 manifold with furnace cement, and painted the head itself to a red similar to the old color.
Today I cured the manifold in the boss' oven. She wasn't pleased to find a manifold in the oven, baking at 500 degrees F for one full hour, but she always says, "At least it's not whiskey or women!"
Due to the rough non-porous surface of the iron, I got plenty of big bubbles under the finish, but it's not leaking
Tonight I cut a gasket from a FelPro sheet (ceramic/paper/metal), using a myriad of primitive tools and elbow grease, and installed the manifold and old Model B carb. Put everything else back on the car, and the racer started within three pulls.
Tomorrow final adjustments and re-torque of the fasteners, and it might be OK.