Where to mount spare on running board with battery box.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Where to mount spare on running board with battery box.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Cleaning up a depot hack prior to passing it on. This one has wire wheels and a running board battery box next to the hand brake handle, no drivers door.
The hack is a three door, so if I mount a spare behind the battery box fore of the rear wheel, I'll loose the rear drivers side door. Same is tru on passenger side, I'll loose one or both of those doors. On top of the battery box looks a little out of place, too high. And, with a tail gate drop down in the rear, can't put one there.

It would have to be a wire wheel spare, I presume, unless just the tire or tire and tube would have been used. But in either case, anyone mount a spare tire or wheel on a T with a running board battery box, other then the rear? And, if so, any photos?

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Robert,
As far as the drivers side running board goes, you will have to make a choice between the battery box or the spare.
Is it actually a battery box or a tool box? if it is a battery box, could you move the battery back to the stock location?
The only other option is to mount the spare behind the frame, under the body. I know most hacks overhang the frame by a couple of feet. Model AA trucks have a real nice spare carrier, kind of a capital "A" shaped, where both lower legs of the "A" could be mounted to the frame, and the top of the "A" mounted to the body.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Kevin

(I just realized my keyboard does not have a cents sign, when did we get rid of those???????)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 01:11 am:

Kevin, this is going "off topic" but you asked: We still have the on our computers. However, you need to be a member of the CHEAP! club to know where it is! :-) (my 2 worth!)
OK, being a Model T Owner, you may be a member by default, so: Hold down the "ALT" key and type "155" and you will see the appear where your cursor is blinking. Now this is like a secret handshake, so don't spread it around!
David "I'm not frugal, I'm CHEAP!" Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 06:56 am:

Another forum member kindly sent me a photo and details on how to make an under bed spare carrier for a pickup. Here'
s is a photo. I have more detailed instructions in a pdf file.

carrier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:07 am:

I just carry my spare in the bed of my pickup, just like they did in the old days. I have an aftermarket unit that was made for 1920-25 open cars, and even uses most of an original Ford carrier too, but I never seem to get around to installing it. Thanks Steve Tomaso.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:25 am:

On the War Wagon, I carry a spare in the rear bed, although I mount it on the back of the cab for looks and space.
I was going to look under the rear bed of the hack to see if that is an option, although a wire wheel spare would not be seen, just for practicality.
It is a true battery box as the top is clipped on and the box and lid are notched out for the battery cables. The top of the box has a non skid pad on it for some reason, but it is mounted with the same bolts that go through the running board to the rb bracket. If the frame has a battery hold down, I would need to create some sort of access through the floor of the hack to free up the running board location. And the box that is there is made of the same wood as the hack, so it looks kinda neat.

I will probably get it out on the driveway and play with some configurations and take some photos. Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue.

TO THE GARAGE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

I showed this in the thread about batteries

The bottom of the battery box extends under the tire mount so I didn't have to drill any holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Fred, is that a standard type spare mount? Or something you created? It is one of the option I explored between the box and the front fender. The other option was on top of the box, but that's a little clunky. I like your location.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration