Rear end rebuild woes...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear end rebuild woes...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

My rear end is getting torqued, more ways than one... lol...

Looks like spider gears, and most everything Inside the differential is OK. I'll be re-safety wiring the bolts when it goes back together, properly.

Looks like ring and pinion gears should be replaced??:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Sorry, hit post, instead of insert image!

.... as they are pretty worn??

On one side of the differential, I had this extra little ring... but looks like there was supposed to be more to it???

I will take another look at the axle book, but don't remember a bit being there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Dennis,
Yes, I think the gears should be replaced.

It looks like you have a babbitt thrust washer. That should be replaced with bronze ones. The two steel washers with holes in them should be on both sides of the new bronze thrust washer. Pins in the differential and housing should should them in place.

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 05:24 am:

Hi, Matthew... thanks! Yeah... Babbitt washers. Or... what was left of them. That's what mandated the teardown. Looks like i need to replace the pins, too. I'm not sure what that little washer is, or was part of. I have the 2 steel washers that go on either side of the babbit one... they are intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

It's hard to tell how worn the pinion is with all that oil, and I've seen much worse ring gears, so for a little used parade car maybe they could even be reused? But you'll indeed need the proper steel and bronze washers and replace the pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Yeah... Not th e best picture. But is worth as bad as the ring gear. I do plan on some local touring, and an building a trailer so I can have a little more extended range. I have the new washer bira, including the pins... waiting on the drive shaft bushings and some other bits.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration