OT OT OT Ice Cream

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT OT OT Ice Cream
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Ok I need a bit of help. I did home made Ice Cream for my Dutch Oven Group. Some of us have T,s and A,s so its a bit related. I got the peaches to freeze but not the milk and cream. So what do I need to do to fix my problem? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Did you use rock salt in your ice? Rock salt makes the ice melt at a lower temperature making water at a temperature below 32 degrees. Water has 100 percent surface touching the metal canister and removing the heat (freezing the cream) where ice alone does not have enough surface touching the canister and cannot remove enough heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Leave town; quickly!! You've got yourself in a Peach of a mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Ah, I didn't understand, thought you didn't have any milk or cream. Did you follow a recipe? Jeff is right, you need to add rock salt to the ice to get the temperature down way below 32F Then you need to churn, churn, churn. When it gets pretty stiff, you take out the dashers, put the lid back on and let it set in the frozen water for about 20 minutes and then it's perfect for serving. If you don't wait, it's still good, but not as thick.
It's been too long since I made some to remember what you need in the mix for it to turn to Ice Cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Jeff is right about the salt. The wooden pails tend to dry out and get leaky, so it's good to soak them ahead of time to swell the wood and close the cracks. There's a hole near the top of the pail so the excess salt water can run out and not get into the ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 12:00 am:

David, There was some one else that made Ice Cream also and there,s set hard. So I was some what safe this time.
I did use salt and the outside of the plastic bucket was showing some freezing up. It was an electric unit and never slowed down.

I must of had the mixture wrong. Thanks for your help, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 12:55 am:

Scott, yep, missed something--the electric job is "cheating" but it does a nice job, we used to have one. I haven't made the ice cream in so long, I don't even know what shape my White Mountain freezers are in (family heirlooms). That one in your picture looks like a WM one; they make the best Ice cream! The triple action paddles are the secret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 06:33 am:

I think it makes a difference which way you turn the handle as the wooden paddles need to be scraping the frozen mix off the inside of the can. Oh, maybe that is only true in Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 06:42 am:

Make sure to use a recipe that is known to work. Too much sugar will cause the mix to freeze at a lower temperature that the ice/salt can't reach. Just think about the "Beet Juice" (Rim Guard) that farmers use a tire ballast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Yep, gotta have the rock salt, AND a young kid to do the cranking! That was my job way back when!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 11:23 am:

James, I think you nailed it. I did put in extra sugar. I will try again next month at our next DOG [ Dutch Oven Gathering ] and will report back. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Scott,
Nah, don't wait until then; you have an excellent excuse to make some way before then--after all, you don't want to be embarrassed again! :-)
Oh, and it doesn't have to be peach, there IS Chocolate. . . . . :-)
Although, I'm realizing the sugar in the peaches does effect the mix; better find a recipe for using fresh fruit in the mix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

DARN!!!!
Now I want Icecream!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

David, You are right. I have a poker game on the 28th. They will be good pigs to try it on. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

OT No WAY mate ice cream always a decent topic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Roberson on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Go to a web site of the University of Guelph. I make the homemade ice cream recipe from this site and it is good and easy to make. It has one egg so it has to be cooked (Pasteurized). Do not believe the old wives' tales about using eggs: you have to Pasteurize it if it has egg or you are risking trouble.
There are hints about making ice cream. From their list: does not freeze: use more salt. Icy with crystals: too much salt (froze too quickly).
Great topic for hot as it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 10:21 am:

My dad made ice cream every other weekend during the summers. One time the overflow pipe at the top of bucket got plugged and brine got in the mix - definitely not a good thing. Guess who's job it became to ensure the pipe was always open...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 11:05 am:

I have one with both a hand crank and an electric one. the kids use the hand crank. I bring out the electric one when it is my turn to crank.
They say I am cheating. ?? ! ??
I say I am making ice cream. If they want some they have to be nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Salt water will rust out the screws that hold the pivot in the bottom of the pail. Replace them with stainless screws.

A recipe hint: Along with chocolate syrup, try this. Yummy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Steve, the pivot also rusts away. Don't ask how I know that!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 02:00 am:

It's been a long time since I made homemade ice cream, but there was something you had to put in the mixture or it wouldn't set up. Something like "rennic" or "retic"(?) It's an enzyme and you buy it at the grocery store as a tablet or powder.
Help me out guys (wives?). That's what made it set creamy-like instead of icy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David R. Smith Delphi Indiana on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Is junket tablets is what you are thinking? I have an old recipe that calls for junket tablets.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

We just made some fresh strawberry over the weekend. We replaced some of the sugar with a packet of strawberry jello. Added fresh strawberry puree to the mix, and then added cut up fresh strawberries when we ripened it.
Tasted even better than of the 31 flavors,
Enjoy,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

I have not made Ice Cream in a while but when we do and there is a visiting special person we do the following::::___ When the ice cream is finished the "Special person is required to lick the Ice Cream paddle as a reward! And the nice thing is get some photos for future parties It is a lot of fun and boy is the ice cream good.
Try it you will like it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

David,
That's it I think. Been making ice cream for 68 years and it's getting harder and harder to find it, but that's the secret passed down from my grandmother.
Bill, you just reminded me that that was the best part! It was always much better than the rest of the ice cream, except for maybe a little salty at the top of the paddle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David R. Smith Delphi Indiana on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

I have an old recipe for cherry pineapple. if anyone is interested I will post it.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Please. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:36 am:

Years ago my wife and I found an antique ice cream maker. We cleaned it up and made our first batch with peaches and it came out beautifully. For the next few weeks we experimented with different recipes and then one day .... the batch turned into butter. We both had a big spoonfull stick to the roof or our mouths. Yuk .... we put it aside and never made ice cream again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:28 am:

Mark, you remind me of one New Years my older brother and I were at home (alone!) I was probably 10 or so, Steve would have been 14-15. We found this coconut covered ball in the freezer--OOOH! Ice Cream ball! Well, we gotta celebrate the New Year, "CHOMP!" URK!!! CHEESE BALL!! Bleah!
So, dig out the churn, just don't work it so long and have more ICE CREAM!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David R. Smith Delphi Indiana on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:40 am:

cherry pineapple ice cream recipe for 6qt freezer
1 gallon of whole milk
3 rounded cups of sugar
4 junket tablet mashed into powder
2 TLB vanilla
10 oz jar maraschino cherries chopped fine
10 oz or small can of crushed pineapple
3 eggs
1 pt whipping cream
Chop cherries--beat eggs until fluffy--combine all ingredients with 3 qts of milk stir until well mixed. Let stand until thickens.Pour in freezer can and fill to line with more of milk.
freeze and pack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

My job was to put a old rug on top and set on it so the bucket wouldn't scoot around while others took turns cranking

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration