OT - Old folks pass - OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Old folks pass - OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

I don't remember if it was here or on another forum, but the National Park Service will soon be raising the cost of a Senior Lifetime Pass ( 62 and over)from $10 to $40 - someone said to $80.

On Sunday afternoon my wife and whet to the National Park on Plum Island in Newburyport MA to see if we could get them.
After waiting in line for about a half hour we finally got to the entrance booth and handed them our licenses (proof of old age) and $20.

As we were waiting I pointed out a sign that said
"Warning, It is green head fly season. Also know as horse flies. They are aggressive. They will bite you and they will draw blood."

About 3 minutes later they handed us our licenses, two Senior Lifetime passes with our names on them, and said have a good time.

Since we were already at the park, we decided to look at the sights from the car.
Some of the areas were blocked off because plovers (whatever they are) were nesting but there was plenty of things to see. When we saw a couple swans enjoying the marshland we stopped and my wife took a couple pictures from the car. Then she opened the window and about a dozen of the green headed devils entered the car before she could close it.

Next she opened the window a crack to shoo the flies out of the car and more came in.
Finally we were able to get them all out by driving with the window open slightly and using a plastic bag to guide them to the opening.

After it was over I figured that it was good we didn't use the open T for the trip.

We saved $60 or $140 and can now go chase green heads for free when we get bored.

Bottom line for you old guys - Get your pass for $10 while you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

More than that,is sometimes state parks also honer the Golden Eagle.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

I was expecting a different subject matter ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

should I have named it old folks pass gas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Yep, thought someone else had died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Yeah, it's true. I bought mine a few weeks back at a ranger station in central Oregon. The new price will be $20 per year or $80 lifetime. Quite a hike from a $10 lifetime pass. Details here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I got mine at Mesa Verde a few weeks ago- What a deal $10 for lifetime pass - goes to $80 August 1! Get em quick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

Sorry Hal,
I didn't connect it to the loss of folks until I saw FJs comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Sorry - Aug 28 is the price increase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Just ordered mine last evening and told a few friends about it. Heck of a deal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Thanks Fred! I'm gonna apply for mine tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

I still have mine from several years ago. I should go to Yellowstone or some other cool place next month and escape the August heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Steve - too late. Did you see this morning's news about the fires in/around Yellowstone?
All this "natural" destruction around us, and we humans can't seem to get along with each other so we ALL can live a long time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration