Rear wheel concern

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear wheel concern
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

After a lot of grief and frustration trying to get lined shoes to work on my '21 Touring I ordered new, one piece, lined shoes from Lang's. It looks like they will work great. However, now that I can get the left wheel on and tighten the axle nut the nuts on the inside of the drum, the ones on the hub bolts, are just touching the big nut on the spring shackle hanger. I have a shim on the taper of the axle already. All seemed well inside the rearend when I recently rebuilt it. Ring and pinion set-up is right and there is no play between the axle shafts. What should I do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Tommy, the wheel is going too far on the taper. This can be caused by worn axle tapers and worn hubs. A shim is the usual fix. If this does not work, a thicker shim may. Do not use two shims to make up the extra thickness. The alternative is to try a different hub on the axle. If that works, the hub needs to be changed into your wheel.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

After my last post I switched the wheels, side for side. The problem goes with the wheel. The drum looks round but I will take the wheel/tire/drum with me to work tomorrow where I can measure it to see if it is out-of-round. Time for a new drum ? Anybody got a used one to spare? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Where can I find a thicker shim or what would be good to make one out of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank in Humboldt, TN on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2505SHB.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

If I try different thickness shims, what would be the maximum I should use? I see a .017 listed. Would the key eventually not fit tightly in the keyway?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

From your description "the nuts on the wheel touch the big nut on the spring hanger" The problem is in your hub. You also said the problem goes with the wheel. I don't think it is your drum but the hub itself which is worn from many years of running with the hub loose. I would have thought the problem was the axle shaft, but since the other wheel works on that axle, your test confirms that the problem is in the hub.

However, how does the drum fit to the backing plate and shoes? It is possible that the bolts are too long or the nuts are too thick but unless you have recently changed them, I don't think that is the source of the problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

The bolts and nuts appear to be original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

On a car that's 90 to 100+ years old, what appears to be original often isn't. But I agree with Norm. If the problem follows the wheel, that suggests a worn hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

I would rather move the nut and bolt end away from the hub nuts by placing a washer under the hanger on the outside of the backing plate and removing some of the nut so both nut and bolt are further away from the hub nuts.

Never have liked shims on the axles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration