6 volt batteries sizes II and 35th class reunion shakedowns. 18 Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 6 volt batteries sizes II and 35th class reunion shakedowns. 18 Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 01:47 am:

Had a good weekend giving the psychedelic 18 Runabout "Tin Cup" a good shake-down. It runs beautifully. :-)
Surprising how many said to leave it looking as it is... Yikes!
They would've loved the rusty 24 Crappy ol' Lizzhe in my profile.

Tin Cup

A pic from last fall.

One fellow sure did like Ol' Crappy Lizzhe as he cranked that engine to life on a small trip up the hill. IF he hadn't been so drunk, I might've taught him how to drive these things but no.
I do have a few to teach how to.
Winter/spring rear axle rebuild for the 18, countless little things addressed and getting electric starting into play on this later engine.
Mid to late Sept. 23 engine in the 18, "as found" for me.
Much more to do...
What a joy to order parts and have them come from "out East" in just a couple business days. More parts to come.
There are new wicks and oil in the parking lamps (9 year old granddaughter put the wicks and oil in the front lamps today-rear lamp caused a stir at the reunion!).
I have new bulbs for the headlamps IF I can manage to get the rings off (no, they're not rusted on, but new, 30 year old springs/ropes and right now a mix of original verses repro rings = ugh). :-)

A bit more oil for the rear end (15-19 or 20 rear end), what level is the 600W 'sposed to be on the lower fill plug axles?.
Should the oil be up to the plug?

The 18's rear end is very quiet... with a gwhirrrrrr when slowing down. Sounds great to me, kinda like the 24's cobbled together rear end.
Thought I had some gear cogging at the bench but that notion was unfounded I think. I'm running pretty close tolerances on the new gear-set BTW.

I did take the muffler apart so I could hear the engine better...

Found a Shimmy in the front end giving rides at our reunion's unofficial Friday get together at the neighborwoods neighbor's next door cabin.
The right load and the right bumps = Shimmy at 15 MPH.
Sorting that out with toe-in adjustment sorted and need to check other things yet too. Pretty tight front-end otherwise until I find more.
The axle needs a Steven's rebuild for the top holes and the bottom threads.
Ol' Crappy-lizzhe's front end with those huge tires is too bad to have a shimmy!

Need to add a cable from the starter to the frame on the 18. That's a given (sparks between the starter and the frame but it all works great!).
I kind of like having that handy electric start when I've been so used to cranking them only. :-)
I made ready tonight, got the 9 year old granddaughter in with me, two flops of the starter and we were off for a toodle! Yessss!

What have you done on your shake-down runs on your new/rebuilt/resurrected T's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 06:33 am:

Duey, glad to hear Tin Cup is on the road. Its a great feeling to get them back on the road after resting in piece for so long. Sounds like you have some interested helpers. Thats great to hear. Wicks and fuel in lights. Get those headlights done and your going to be giving driving lessons to your helper. Drive the wheels off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration