Turbo 400 conversion clutch kit,

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Turbo 400 conversion clutch kit,
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 07:08 am:

Hello all. Has anybody gad personal experience with installing
the compete Turbo 400 conversion kit?

Part number from Langs is 3228BE and this is the fibre plates and the new clutch hub unit to suit the multi teeth plates.

Just curious of your experiences with installation issues with the new hub and " shift feel " once back on the road

Thanks, Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 07:21 am:

Alan,
As a rule I fit the 400 or a watts to all rebuilds I do, never had any issues with either or the way they operate or fitting, one of my own T's clocked up 15 years and went back in, the part numbers could still be read on the fibre discs. I always fit a new spring at the same time and adjustments are the same as original T settings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 10:42 am:

I've got Langs kit in my '13 roadster. I'm pleased with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 10:44 am:

I had no problems installing it and the results were as expected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Allan, I had a Turbo 400 in my coupe for a couple years. It worked fine but, it is a little harder to get it to shift smoothly than the Ford clutch. Having said that there really is no reason to replace the original Ford clutch. It will work perfectly as long as all the parts are in good shape and adjusted correctly.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

The only down side that I see is that as the material on the clutch plate wears off, it ends up in the engine oil and runs through the bearings. I have no personal experience with bad bearings from this. I realize that these plates are in millions of new cars and they would have the same effect on the transmission bearings, so maybe my concern is not that great. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

I know I have removed about four sets of them form slipping them, bad spring , bad driver? they sure burned up the disc. You will never burn up the steel ones!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

I had a set that had been in the car for 15 years start to slip on a long tour. I planned on adjusting the clutch when I returned home. Well I never made it back. When they start to slip, you must stop and tighten the fingers right away to save the clutch plates. Its a lot of work to tear down and flush the bits of clutch material from the transmission and engine. I went back together with stock metal plates and see no difference in clutch operation. Checking the clutch adjustment should be a part of your regular maintenance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

They are great installed 2 kits and made one myself but kits much easier
Gives a good free nuetral
Liþle harshér on the shift as theu slide and slip less

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:28 am:

I have toured a lot all over the US and have witnessed several failures of the GM Turbo clutches. Owners got that great GM feeling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

The "T400 vs Watts vs Ford" is one of the most interesting questions that comes up on the forum.

This thread from 2010 is a good read:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/168632.html?1290273445

Personally, based of what I've read on the forum, I'd prefer the Watts over the 400 IF I decided that I didn't want the standard Ford.

The only reason I can see not the use the Ford setup is if you don't have a starter. Fresh engine with the Ford clutch + hi-comp head + no starter + cold weather can = hell on earth! You could get around this by using thinner oil (5w-40) or fit a aux-tranny which has a neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

The T400 have two kinds of plates, one with just smooth lining, and the other kind with grooves that are the best.

They will not take slipping, as any clutch shouldn't be slipped.

We used to make all our clutch packs for our own engines. I called Rick at Birdhaven about it to see if they might sell, and he said he would find out, so he came up with the name Jackrabit, and sold the sets under that name, they even had their label.

Well, they went over real well, and I had set one Guy just on making T400 JackRabbit clutch packs.

I also sold them just as T400 packs to many other venders.

We've made Hundreds, and Hundreds of those sets, for about 5 years.

We only had to replace one set, as the owner took his car out for the first time and after 5 miles, it started slipping and he didn't adjust it, and drove another 15 miles. He made it home, but there was nothing to adjust, and that was one of our engines. I had told him about slipping, and what to do if that happened. But!

Normally, you only have to adjust,once of twice, and that will do it for thousands of miles, unless you like slipping your clutch in high when shifting!

In fact, I had a 1923 Touring with about 50,000 miles, and we only adjusted it the first time, and that was it, before I sold it a few years ago.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

I have put about 2,000 miles on my rebuilt transmission which has the turbo 400 clutch discs in it. I think the major difference that I have noticed is that you do not have to throttle all the way down to go from low to high. I have not seen any negative repercussions this far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 07:20 am:

New strong spring is a must !!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration