Fan Belt Choice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fan Belt Choice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

I measured my pulleys with a string at the middle of the adjustment on my 26 and I get 32-3/4 to 32-7/8. Do I go up to the 33-1/8 or down to 32? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

If you have adjusted the pulleys to the minimum length when you take the measurement you go up slightly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

was your fan pulley an the upper travel, if it was then get the smaller belt if it wasn't move it to the upper limit and measure again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

GR and I do it the opposite way but both get the job done.

I use the lower limit for the measurement because it allows me to get the belt on, then tighten it, and leaves some adjustment if the belt stretches.
But GR's method will also work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Ok, I measured first the lower limit and it was over 32. I checked in the middle and got 32-7/8. So, I guess the 32 won't work. A question I have is how close to the actual measurement are the belts? i.e. does the 33-1/8 belt measure out to 33-1/8? or do they run larger or smaller? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

I went to Autozone and bought a 32' belt. Tried it and it had just a little adjustment. Then returned the belt and bought the belt from Lang's. Little adjustment and has plenty of room for stretching.
it seems that we are way over thinking this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Doug:

Please measure the limit of largest belt with a string. Determine how much over 33 and 1/8 that dimension with the string is. That maximum dimension should give you an idea of how much adjustment you have. I do not know if you have the worm/screw adjustment or the eccentric adjustment, but try to get the farthest apart dimension and then string to get the wrap around length. If 32 will not work I guess you need the 33 and 1/8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Geez - I just ordered a replacement from Lang's;
it fit perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Update - Old worn out belt cut in half measures 32-3/4. Shortest path around pulleys is 31-1/2 and widest path is 33-1/4. It looks like the 32" belt is the one. Thanks for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

My choice SHOULD'VE been to order one from our vendor's.
Instead, I chose the local store for a serpentine. Turns out a few more bucks plus the shipping would've been the only difference.
Lang's belts are measured on the INSIDE (just like I would've thought and did with my old canvas belt), serpentine belts are measured on the OUTSIDE at one store. Uff da. Chalk it up to experience and memory. Same thing last year for the late TT's belt.
The 2nd belt will be in town in the morning...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

If you can't get the right length belt get a to long belt wrap it around pulley but it together and cut it the right length make sure you cut the ends square, very important Look on the internet on how to lace a flat belt for a metal lathe. when measuring , measure for the shortest belt this will allow for stretch and adjustment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

The last i knew Gates offered 4 sizes and i do not think you can lace a leather belt to match a Gates.Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration