Coil box mounted ignition switch question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Coil box mounted ignition switch question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Duffy on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Several times while driving my 17 roadster with ignition switch on coil box, i have turned off the switch with my foot.
I have seen pics with the key in upside down- will the key stay in like that ? Am I the only one to have this issue?
Any input will be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

I have had the keys in my 1915 and my 1919 upside down for years. Try it. You will find it easier to reach and will never put it in right side up again!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Michael, It will only fall out when in the Off position. If turned to Mag or Bat, it will stay there. Just remember, the Mag and Bat positions switch sides when the key is high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

I shut the 18 off with my foot in the first 2 miles when it was right side up (down?). ;-)
Still kick that poor coil box when headed for the brake 'tho.
Too darned used to the 24 with no coil box and plenty of foot room.
Hah! It IS easier to reach when upside down! I never thought about that Keith. :-)
Funny... The little Grandson's haven't taken that key yet... Oh. Doesn't look like a key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

After kicking it off a few times, I figured it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Duffy on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Thanks for the input. I will try upside down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:19 am:

I use a new one purchased from a vendor. Upside down. It is so tight it takes some effort to remove it, so I never do .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

I seldom remove the key either, but I do usually keep it turned just a little ways so it can't fall out, but not enough for it to make contact. My wife will sometimes tell me I left the key on, but it's not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

But Hal; if you leave your key turned to the magneto position when car is not in use it won't fall out either. You're just liable to run down the charge in your magneto. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

George, the cure for that is to attach a chain to the rear axle and let it drag on the ground to drain off the excess positrons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Yeah, but you have to wait for the engine to die then turn it back on. When I go to switch it off, I just turn it far enough to kill the engine then leave it there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

any one know why??? the key in my coil box is square the one in michiel's is round????GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

OOPS; TE HOLE GREG---ITS LATE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Richard-
Different manufacturers.
Some have a flat key, some have a key with the pin that is round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Ford stamped the keys in later years. The early ones are far better. Beware of some of the early aftermarket ones. I was driving along with RV in his '14 last year, and the handle of the key dropped off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Has anyone seen a key like this one? Was it used only on a 1914 with prestolite tank? It has the same diamond trademark like the switch plate. The one end is ground to a screw driver tip,the hex.hole fits the coil nuts,and the square hole fits the gas tank valve. Les

key

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration