Jigger Car - where does that term come from?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Jigger Car - where does that term come from?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Today, my cousin was working her way through some old family photos and sent me a copy of the picture below. I believe this is a Model A and it has my great uncle Charles and my uncle JL in it. The picture was most likely taken after WWII. Am I correct - is this a Model A?

At the top are the words "jigger car." I had never seen or heard the word "jigger" used to describe a Model A or, for that matter, a Model T.

I sniffed around on the World Wide Web and found that the word jigger has many uses/definitions, but one of them is to describe a handcar like the old hand pumped cars used on railroad tracks that we've all seen in the old movies.

Are you all familiar with the phrase "jigger car" being used to describe Model A's or T's or other early cars?

Does anyone have any thoughts about why this car would have been called a jigger car?Jigger car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

1929 Model A roadster. The taillight on the rear fender instead of mounted to the body - teamed up with the other '28-29 features - locks this identification in as a 1929. The wheels would almost certainly have been black from the factory, so I would guess this photo dates from the late 1940's through early 1950's.
Marshall
A "T and A" kind of guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Oh, yeah - The body has been repainted. It should be two-tone. No 1929 open body color was that light. Headlights have been painted black, too, instead of being nickel plated. Want more?
Oops! This is a Model T website, isn't it? Never mind. 'Nuff said.
M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

I assume would the slang term, which of course can vary from state to start, town to town and even family to family, meant cheaper or inexpensive little put-around car. Could be on par with flivver, Tin Lizzie, jalopy, struggle-buggy and the myriad of other endearing adjectives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

A Jigger was a an early rat rod - disdained now but necessitated back in the day when you actually did not have money to buy a complete car ......

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration