A new friend

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A new friend
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Through the help and generosity of Bob Middleton (Sparks, NV) Rusty now has a playmate. Bob's speedster has come to live with Rusty and me whilst I prepare my Omnibus body for the Great Omnibus to Speedster transplant. In the meantime I will bring the speedster to functioning and will try to look as classy as Wayne Sheldon driving around Grass Valley.

Almost half a century ago my high school had six Terrys who were friends. They were numbered #1-#6. Little did I suspect that Terrie 1 and Terry 4 would be celebrating their 41st. wedding anniversary 47 years later. I am still known as "4" to many friends and family members. Of course seeing this speedster I had to acquire it. Terrie even suggested it when I showed her the photo with the big 4 on the hood and radiator!

Terrie thinks it is cute and seems to have temporarily forgotten her caveat that my purchase of a car necessitates the sale of another. All is peace and harmony in the Horlick homestead... until 1 finds out that the car 4 plans to sacrifice for this speedster is her Toyota minivan! Having no doghouse I feel quite safe!

Here is the car with the fenders put in place (sort of!) without the fender irons being mounted up! D.D. likes the car's color.

1 and 4 pose in #4 (when referring to both of us collectively my nephew calls us "5").

Here's the future body for this car:

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 01:37 am:

Terry,
Congrats, but I have to say this: those fenders have to go!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 02:12 am:

David I have to agree with you. I placed them there to see if it made the car look more balanced... fail!

This is a car built in the late 50's or early 60's I think. Almost anything which could be put into a vat has been chromed... all the brake and steering parts, the transverse springs etc. I am going to have to bring on my best game to get them all stripped. Aging pitted chrome just clashes with brass! I suspect the 1915 fenders I plan for the Omnibus body might come in handy here! I was hoping that the long sloping fenders would give it an American Underslung feel but I don't feel that.

I can respect that this is an effort which was done prior to the advent of the Rootleib speedster parts being produced and as such this is interesting to me as an example of amateur efforts.

I suspect it will go fenderless until good fenders are located at a swap meet ("auto jumble" for our friends across the pond).

What is funny to me is that on my desktop that second picture shows right side up, on my phone it is upside-down! Can't figure out why, and what code can do that.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Better?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Did you two have a falling out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Terry EXIF data (EXchangable Information Format) is what sets the orientation or your pictures. Certain Photo programs will automatically orient the Photo for you according to the EXIF Data.The preceding was the readers digest version so I don't look too much like a geek!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

There was a reason i showed youbthe car fenders off my friend.
Onlu T i ever seen with chromed tapper leaf springs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 01:05 am:

That car really gets around. Built in California in the 60s-70s. Wound up in Arizona. Came back to Ca. a few years ago and had a few goodies sipped off. We had it here and made it roadworthy again. Bob named it 4play. Went to Nv. Bob for a while and now back in Ca. That's the third or fourth set of wheels I have seen on it. Can't wait to see what Terry does with all that chrome stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 01:07 am:

Holy chrome plating, tooth-man!!
Better?? Hmm, relative term. Some decent early front fenders front and rear would probably dress it up some, and keep the mud off Terrie (important feature!).
I dunno when I'm going to have any "free" time to drive on over, neck-deep in the Theatre Organ project for the next two months. Almost a ball and chain right now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 01:50 am:

Everything on this car is chromed. Tie rods, brake levers, double wishbone, front and rear springs, on and on. Anyone want chrome parts call me, I will swap for painted (or rusted) parts...that will be less chrome I have to strip off!

I want to end up with a '15(ish) chassis for my omnibus. I will play with the speedster until the Omnibus body is ready for chassis. I have a complete 1918 engine (less mag currently) which I want to swap out for a '15 engine or good block or short block.

Chrome is expensive. Most is nice on this car, or will be if polished. Stripping it off isn't easy so if anyone wants chrome parts it will never get cheaper than this parts swap! I promise not to question why you want chrome parts!

PM will also work for me.

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration