Mining for a correct manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mining for a correct manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

In looking for an intake manifold for my 1923 touring I find quite a variety of markings. Here are six out of the pile.

All the marks are oriented the same way in the picture, but they're in two directions on the manifolds. In other words, the marks on the top row would be upside down as the manifold is installed on the car.

Here are the close-ups:

Top left

Top center

Top right

Bottom left

Bottom center

Bottom right (no mark at all)

So here's the question. Do the marks and/or their orientation have anything to do with year(s)? If so, what's right for 1923?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Take your choice, I would use the prettiest one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Steve, I think those are mold makers marks. That way the can keep track on how many he made and if there is a problem they know who made the part. Or what mold is being used. Nothing about the date, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

I would suggest using one with the Ford in script, if you have one, as most parts were identified as such starting in the early 20's.

If you don't have one, I can send you one for the price of postage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:45 am:

Steve, stick your finger up the carb end and use the one with the biggest hole.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Be sure to wear rubber gloves! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

You could also fill them up with fluids and find out what give you the most volume.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Well, this is a bit of a surprise. According to the MTFCI guidelines, the Ford script on the intake manifold first appeared in 1919. Apparently eighteen of the twenty manifolds I've found here are 1914-1918. Of the two I have which do have the script, one has a petcock stuck in it and is the one I'm replacing with one that hasn't been modified. I have no idea how it came to be that 90% of my manifolds are the earlier type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Here are two photos of the intake manifold on Betsy, my January 1924 build cut-off touring car.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Steve,

Did Western Auto Supply have a place in Kansas? It was claimed by them that by 1920 you could build a whole Ford from their catalog with parts never touched by a Ford employee or having seen the inside of a Ford shop. It is said that the reason Ford started scripting was that was the only legal way to prove a genuine Ford part.

Most guys want to poo poo the WesternAuto influence...but good old George did make millions duping parts for T's! Somewhere in your past you have a Pepperdine connection, yes??

As to what to do with your 'pick'...biggest bore or volume...smoothest inside surface is your best bet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Strictly an observation.
I would say the majority of probably several bushels of common iron intakes I have had through the years did NOT have a Ford script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

George, the answer is yes. Pepperdine College, 1964 grad. That was before they moved out to Mailbu and became a big fancy university.

The school colors are blue & orange. Quite a coincidence, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Steve, if you are really lucky, you may find a cast iron manifold the same as the higher volume 13-14 models. These are most desireable.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Our 26 Coupe has a "Ford" and a "G" if anyone is taking notes.
Vern

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration