Out of commission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Out of commission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Driving home on Tuesday and was hit head on by another vehicle. Driving my 56 F100. I'm in the hospital with broken hip,awaiting surgery. I will be back working on the T as soon as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Sorry to hear of your bad news Tommy. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Sounds like you'll be working on the 56 as well as the T! Bugger!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Tommy: Sorry to hear of the accident. If it was not for "BAD L<UCK you woul not have any luck

"!!! Get well soon but don't over do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Praying for you and family, Tommy. We put seat belts in our 1950 F1 but I still wouldn't want to get hit.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

s/b BAD LUCK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Sorry to hear that Tommy! I prescribe working on the T as soon as your able. Hope you have a speedy recovery. We will keep you in our prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Sorry to read about this. Hope you heal fast. Don't overdo things until it's completely healed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I am pleased it was not worse, but a broken hip is not fun. Take the time. Take care of you. And get better as quick as you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Sorry for you and for the old Ford.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Tommy, Best Wishes for a Speedy recovery! So glad it wasn't the T, but sorry it was your F-100. Can it also recover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Hi Tommy, Sorry to hear of your accident. I pray for your speedy recovery, but a broken hip takes time to get better. Be sure to do the therapy like they tell you.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Tommy wishs for a speedy recovery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:40 am:

That sucks Tommy.
Like these guys say, be careful about what you do during recovery please and do the PT.
My thoughts and prayers going to you sir.
How did your F100 fare?
On a lighter note, my friend says if he gets hit in his TT, it'll be just kindling...
All kidding aside, be well Tommy and keep us in the loop on your recovery.
Oof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 02:43 am:

Tommy,

What was the other vehicle and how did it hold up ?

Sorry this happened but glad you are still here.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:35 am:

Best of luck and get well soon Tommy. I am up at 3 AM taking my bride to the hospital for eye surgery at 6 AM its going to be a long day.

Last year a good friend got T boned picking up food for the poor in his Honda----ten broken ribs, both hips broken, punctured lung and a hammered heart. He is doing well now.

The driver of the other car 25 years old never had a drivers license or insurance.

Thank God for good doctors and hospitals!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:37 am:

Dear Lord! Tommy, I closed out of the forum just minutes before you posted last night! I'm sooooo sorry to hear this! Praying for your speedy full recovery. Thanking God nothing worse.

And the skeptic in me can just about guess why they hit you head on, and what he/she was doing.

Yesterday I was on my way to the trailer store near my place, turned left onto the next road, here's a young chick TEXTING while she was coming to the stop sign! JESUS! That idiot coulda just as easily rolled thru the stop sign and been plowed into by a west-bound vehicle! Dang it I'm so tired of seeing this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Sorry to hear about that Tommy. Hope everything works out prayers will be sent for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:45 am:

So sorry to hear Tommy. The body is remarkable in mending and will heal...just maybe not on your timeline...but that's OK.

I had my non auto accident May 3, and shattered me knee. Learned to walk steady with a walker but 2 weeks ago. I cheat with a cane from time to time but still only 20 steps max.

So how does this fit into working on a T? You'll learn little things are major accomplishments! I park a chair by a wheel, take my TT style jack and lift one, wipe the tire inside and out, then tire black inside and out...takes all morning to do all 4 but boy do they look sharp after a few times :-). My next goal is a new ground strap...may have to figure out how to lay on the floor and scooch under :-)

Point being....part of the therapy CAN be figuring out how to do things on the T in different ways. Good luck with the recovery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:04 am:

WOW, sorry to hear this and hope for a complete and speedy recovery. As Vern posted above, we too put seatbelts in our 50 Effie but still wouldn't want to go through what you did. Heal well amigo !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Tommy,

So sorry to hear of the accident. I'm glad you are still with us! And we will be praying for a speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Tommy, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:32 am:

I busted my hip (femur, actually) in November of last year. It will take a while, but if your recovery goes like mine, you will be up and around before long. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Tommy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Surgery went well. In recovery.
'56 will not be fixable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Tommy.

Happy to hear your recovering.

As for the 56, Almost anything can be fixed.
It just takes time and money.
You might be able to find a donor truck to help it survive.
Or it might become the donor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Surgery went well. In recovery.
'56 will not be fixable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

I have a 56 F100 panel truck that I can get driveable pretty quickly. It will make a good daily driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Years ago, my folks had a next-door neighbor with a couple sons, shall we say a few sandwiches short of a picnic. He also had a '59ish Ford pickup that had been in the family for many years.
It was decided that the pickup should be "rebuilt", with a few upgrades. That stupid thing went apart and back together more times than any other car or truck I have ever known. Part of it, was the refitting of "changes". Part of it, was something else. After a few years of reworking the thing, it was finally ready to run. It still looked like a rust pile.
I kid you NOT! The very first day it was driven beyond the cul-de-sac, They wrecked it. Big time. A couple more years were spent. This time, even more modified, raised, off-road suspension (still looked like a pile of junk), replaced the entire front end, fenders hood, etc. Finally, ready to drive again. Very first day, rolled it.
Another couple years, new cab, rebuilt, replaced many pieces. Would you believe they ran it into a ditch and flipped it again? This time, the frame was beyond straightening. About half the body that had been previously replaced? Was replaced again.

My parents lived in that house for about twenty years. When they moved out, the next door pickup was being rebuilt, again. For at least the 5th time. At least four times, the truck was rebuilt, at great time and considerable expense. Every time, it was totally wrecked within three days of the first real drive.

One of those really funny moments in my life. I was at my parents place, helping with something or another. The neighbors were working on the truck. That much had happened many times before. But what was unusual this time was the truck was not in the back yard. It was in the front yard, and the engine was actually running. They worked on it for a couple hours, doing the kinds of things one does preparing for a first real drive. Then off they drove.
Maybe a bit over two hours later, one of the biggest truck wrecker-trucks you have ever seen pulls into the cul-de-sac, with their twisted little Ford pickup dangling and swinging on the wrecker cable (one of their buddies worked for the wrecker company). The wrecker was almost literally half the length of the cul-de-sac (Yes, it was a short cul-de-sac). He had to drive clear out, and back in almost a block, up the curb, across the yard that only a few hours earlier the pickup sat on and was being prepped for its drive, and set it down neatly, back in the back yard.

Yep. Almost anything can be rebuilt. Sometimes again. And again. And again.

Tommy C, Get some rest. Recover well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Tommy, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Try to do the therapy and get back to working the T'S.
My wife just had a complete knee and shoulder put in. She is doing well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Tommy, I know the out of commission thing, I just got out of having Carotid Artery surgery. Get well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Tommy, I am sorry to read of your accident. I stopped by the parts store where you work, but you were so busy that I left without meeting you. I hope you recover fast enough to join a small group that are planning a Blue Ridge Parkway run about mid October. Call me if I can help you in any way. Lenney Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 02:34 am:

Thanks. I have had my 56 for 10 years. It had been sitting
in a barn for 18 years. I put a 500 Cadillac engine in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Off policy...
Ooh, Cadillac engines... Drip, drip the drool goes.
Had a 429 in a 67 Coupe. Yum yum and Vroom.
A 500. A potential of 550 lbs of torque verses the 480 ft/lbs of the 429. Zoiks!
Ahhh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Awaiting being able to go home from the hospital. They tell me it might be a couple more weeks. Wonder how recovery from a broken hip will affect my T driving abilities?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Best wishes for your recovery. Regarding T driving, where there's a will, there's a way!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/762018.html?1496893379

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/499661.html?1418513251

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/377980.html?1375257089

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:24 am:

Ironically, my sister just gave me something that I have wanted for years. A rideable replica 1880s style bicycle. It has a 54 inch front wheel and a 16 inch rear. I'm looking forward to riding it when I'm able.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Tommy, also known as a "bone shaker" so heal well first :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Tommy, I broke my back in 2002. Thankfully I was in excellent athletic condition and was able to exercise my way to healing without surgery. It's not perfect, but I can do anything I want to do.

A body in motion stays in motion. Keep going, manage your pain and rehabilitation, and you will succeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Tommy, which hospital are you in? Can you have visitors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 04:37 am:

Lenny,I'm in Frye, in Hickory. Room 659. I will be here for at least another week. Come by anytime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

I'm home. My old recliner sure feels good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Won't be long now till you're wrenching on the T :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Tommy,

Congrats on getting sprung

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Yes! Out of the hoosgow! That's good news. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

"Wrenching on the T" will be so much better than watching the TV!
But don't rush it too much. It is much better now with new surgical techniques than it was even only twenty years ago. But it still takes some time. And do your exercises.

Then GET OUT THERE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

My follow-up to see the orthopedic dr is Aug 22. I am not supposed to do anything till then that I am not doing now. Once I am able to work for about an hour +/- on the T it should be ready for the first drive. How many pounds of pressure reckon my clutch pedal will require to engage low gear? I've been told that the doctor should, after a few weeks, tell me that I can put a percentage of my body weight on my left leg. Then I will be able to drive the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Glad to hear your out. Take your time healing. That car has been waiting for you almost a hundred years. A couple more weeks and it wont matter to your T. Remember tinkering isnt working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:11 am:

Not what I had wanted to hear from the orthopedic surgeon during my follow-up visit. He says two more months before I can put ANY weight on my left leg. I suppose I will be driving my T using only my right foot after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Obviously, the choice is yours Tommy.

Consider two possible outcomes...you wait, with some considerably difficulty, another two months to drive.....but, after those two months pass, you are well healed, and experience no further difficulty from that break for the rest of your life.....

OR

you don't have the patience - and succumb to the call of the buzzing coils in another day -or two - and begin driving with a partially healed bone fracture. Just suppose that something goes amiss on that ride....oh, let's say the right foot driving works OK, but you get a flat tire, or something (use your imagination) happens that you really need to put a lot of stress on that break....and let's just say that you break it again - only worse this time. Now you have to start the recuperation process all over again.

From personal experience, I would hope that you can somehow find some patience, and wait until you are more completely healed. Life is too short to be confined to splints, braces, casts, crutches, etc for any length of time.

Good Luck,

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:24 am:

Tommy,
Wanting to drive does give a sense of purpose and that goal is healthy nonetheless. Even sitting in your T will keep your mind thinking in that direction.
Vern

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration