Come next winter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Come next winter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Come next winter, we will not be complaining about all this heat and humidity, we'll be thankful for a warm day from the sun.
I bought my 1926 Model T Ford touring on December 13, 2016, it had been in storage for a very long time and I just had to get him "on the road again".
Now I see why they call these touring cars "open cars"!!!!
It may be a little snowy and chilly, but come next summer I'll be wishing for weather more like this.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: why own a convertible, if you don't drive with the top down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-DFCSK5E8&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Hi Warren,

You've got it! The Model T is the Year-Round Collector Car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

I plan on driving mine year round but I'm afraid of the solution they spray on the roads now. It is destroying modern cars and trucks, what will it do to the T's metal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

I drive my open antiques all winter, regardless of temperature, but not if there's snow or salt on the roads. Of course, New Jersey isn't New Hampshire, but I have gone out in 10 degree temperature with no top or windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:11 am:

Of course there is always this.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:35 am:

Yes Bill, I agree with you drive 'em, don't hide 'em, any day driving our Model Ts is a good day, no matter what time of year. Is that the photo I took of you at the Model T Ford Club Snowmobile Meet in Tamworth NH on 2-4-2017. It sure was a cool day (in the teens all day) that day when you drove over 110 miles each way, totaling over 225 miles for the day! I was wondering if you use 202 & 9 or 10 out of Keene at the start of that trip?

John it must get fairly chilly up there in Fort Atkinson. I'm not sure what that solution is, but in New Hampshire, I believe they only use it on the interstates. I only go out when the roads are dry and with those thin tires, high clearance and the fact the the undercarriage is well oiled, I don't believe it's a problem.

Gilbert living in Morristown you have the benefit of all that hot air coming from the "Big Apple", just kidding. I hope you have a cap on, I can remember my dad saying "where's your cap" each time we were going outside.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:06 am:

Chad, I missed your comment, because I was replying to the other comments. What can I say, we all suffer from our politicians (a person who acts in a manipulative and devious way). I was wondering if you were able to attend the Model T Ford Club Snowmobile Meet in Tamworth NH on 2-4-2017. It was a great time and I would recommend that you try to attend next years meet, date / place has not been sit as yet.

David Hiltz from out in Mohave, California was in attendance at this years meet and it was great to meet him. Next year David bring along you snowmobile.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:15 am:

I'm a wimp, I'll admit it. Can't stand the cold at all, but partially 'cause it screws up my back with its herniated disc. But I do ride with top(s) down as much as possible. I leave Pete's top up mostly because that's about the only way I can get the wife to go out during the day time. She's a "heat/sun wimp", I'm a cold wimp! We compliment each other! And, Pete just looks better with the top up anyway. The touring and the '20 roadster I leave the top down until I myself absolutely cannot stand the sun and/or heat, which is seldom. I did put the top up on the '13 the other day to measure it for my new taller trailer that I'm getting, and for now I'll just leave it up so we can both use it and give Pete a rest. But I really prefer being able to see the open sky while driving. Be surprised how many eagles we see that way! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:29 am:

MY BAD, I was talking about Russell Nave, who lives in Quartz Hill, California.

Dave, I apologize for moving all the way out to the golden state.

Tim, we all do the best we can. Great photo on your profile, can you post a photo of Pete. He must be the 1920 Runabout, top up and down.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Hi Warren...yeh, I manage. Therapy has helped my back, shoulders and knee tremendously. I just hate the cold period though!! ha ha. Pete is my '12 Comm. Roadster P/U. He's the red one on the left of the profile, but here's a better pic of him. He's a sweet running lil' machine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Rarely gets cold here 32 degrees 2 or 3 times a year ,but we did have snow on the ground in 1989 they say that happens about once every 100 years! So around these parts on the hottest days you go into the garage fire up the 48 inch barrel fan and work on the T, in the winter you drive it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

G.R. that's a very nice looking '27 roadster, I will not ask if you pull that Airstream with your T.
I love your Personal Quote: "If you don't have the time to do it right when will you find the time to do it over?"

Because of that and your great looking '27, I refuse to give you a hard time about rubbing it in about the cooler months we experience here in the northern states.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

I guess I'm a wimp, I put my top up and side curtains on for winter driving. :-)

pic1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:48 am:

Hello Mark and thanks for posting that great photo of your 1924 Touring (modified to pickup), it looks like it came right out of a museum.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:13 am:

Hat off to you Warren. Our local AACA does not have cruise nights in winter because it's too cold but yet only two other old cars show up in summer tour events here because the cars don't have AC. Once, we got our old car going years ago, I sold my modern vehicle and the old timer became my daily driver.
G.R., we had snow and ice here in New Orleans in 1989 too, same storm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Vern, Thank you for your comment. I wish you all the best of luck getting your 1926 Coupe back "on the road again"!!!!

G.R., glad you had a White Christmas. Here in New England we always wish for a White Christmas.

The largest snowstorm in history for the Southeast U.S. coast occurred just before Christmas 1989. This storm broke all-time snowfall records in Wilmington (15.3 inches), Cape Hatteras (13.3 inches), Charleston (8 inches), and Savannah (3.6 inches). Measurable snow fell as far south as Jacksonville and Tallahassee, Florida, and snow flurries were reported in Tampa and near Sarasota.

In addition to record amounts of snow unprecedentedly cold temperatures accompanied the storm. All-time record lows were smashed across coastal North Carolina with temperatures falling to -4 in New Bern and to 0 in Wilmington. Arctic air flooded south into Florida as well with record lows observed all across the peninsula. Even Key West, FL reached 44 degrees tying the coldest December temperature ever seen in that nearly-tropical location. The Florida citrus industry suffered severe injury with newspaper reports indicating "nearly total destruction of commercial citrus growing north of Interstate 4..."

Happy motoring,

Warren

Vern, I hope this will give you inspiration to keep working on your'26.

Christmas 2010 Dunbarton, New Hampshire teaching my grandsons how to drive my '17 Canopy Express Delivery, Best Christmas ever!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Now I'm worried about how cake sprinkles are made . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

please excuse that post to the wrong thread !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

I'm not sure I could make it through our Winters with T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

My Lizzie was snowed in for the duration last winter. Kind of a twist, she found the barn, isn't that a "barn find" ? ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Rich Bingham, that is a "barn find" if I ever saw one and I have seen a few>

Sambuca

Rich_eagle, you should be ashamed making your daughter hand crank your T before starting out on a winter's drive.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Granddaughter. Sorry, she likes to sand on rusty car frames too. Go figure.
That is a pretty neat tractor conversion Warren.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Yep, it will be here soon enough. Despite the lack of ticks and mosquitoes, I always find myself counting the days until spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 07:29 am:

Richard, yes it is! Unfortunately it belongs to Paul LeBlanc, that was last September and Paul had it ready for the Eliot, Maine tractor show on July 29th, 2017.

I can not make out who is sitting in the drivers seat, while your granddaughter is cracking your car.

Steve, I agree with you, however I do enjoy driving my Ts year round.

Happy Motoring,

Warren

it must have been cold that day (February 22nd, 2012) look at how the film is shaking!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eP27eDtSs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Thanks for asking Warren. That is her Brother Atom. (physicist Father) He thinks he owns the driver's seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

I guess I should mention, they didn't get it started.

Proud Grampa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Got these vintage home-made skiis from Andy Loso. Anxious to try these this winter on my far northern Minnesota lake. Probably wrap some rope around the rear spokes.Skiis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 06:20 am:

Dave, that sounds like a great idea to me. Best of luck with your project, please post pictures.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1xYFSDPf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_vpmm2tOg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Love it Warren. Thnx, d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:46 am:

I'm planning to drive my T year round. The touring car's top will be up however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 10:08 am:

John, If it's sunny out why not put if down? It's not like you will be losing any more heat.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration