Anyone have thread about rattlecan paint test?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Anyone have thread about rattlecan paint test?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I know if has been reposted a few times but I can't find it. It was a longitudinal study about the practicality of using rattle-can black paint on Model T fenders and body.

Anyone have a link?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:54 am:

I painted my '24 Touring in its entirety with rattle can paint. Not the best paint job in the world, but it's 5 years old, cost $80 and still holding up pretty well. Can't complain!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:58 am:

James C. :

This thread?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/182651.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:45 am:

The Rustoleum appliance paint does a nice job if used correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Thanks David- yes, that was the one I wanted to re-visit.

Much appreciated,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

I have used it only on small dings. Unfortunately, most of the stuff you get doesn't quite match the original even though it is called Gloss Black. I suppose if you got enough to paint the whole part or the whole car, you might be OK, however, the real spray gun gives a better and smoother finish.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny_s on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I found that the original paint on my '23s splash
pans were impervious to gas dripping from the
carb until i repainted them with a spray bomb
rustoleum type paint.Henry's paint was better because gas did not melt it, bubble it, or even
touch it!!!!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

James:

You may with to google "Rustoleum $50 paint job".

We have met previously, I live in Batavia, IL. (You lent me your hub puller, a few years back).

If you would like to discuss this method, and see the results, call me at: 630-244-2285.

Wayne Jorgensen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

It's not the can, it's what's in the can. Most rattle-can paints are over thinned and very low on solids. In paints, neither black nor white are the "absolutes" one presumes. On comparison you can be amazed at the range of color different formulations of either one offers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Yeah, you can use all those rattle cans, but your T deserves better. The only good thing about rattle can paint is it comes off fairly easy for the next guy.

Andy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration