Oil Leak woes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil Leak woes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

I ran a show Sunday in the 26 coupe. I had just finished putting the transmission hogshead back on the night before because I put in new kevlar bands. Here we go: the bendix cover the whole time I've had the car has only had 2 of its 4 screws. Never leaked. Now I know there was probably gunk plugging the holes preventing a leak. Pulled in after 11 miles at Stewarts for some gas, oil was half low. Oops, looks like now those missing screw holes are spewing oil. Being pig headed and stubborn I bought a few quarts of oil at the gas station, topped her off and continued on. Sometime over the next 12 miles she went from a solid 4 1/2 quarts to maybe 1 1/2 or 1 quart, for when I pulled into the show the visible sight gauge was barely reading any oil at all. Stupid I know. At the show I whittled plugs out of pencil and plugged the screw holes. Then hit it with some RTV gasket and let dry. I drove the full 25 miles home after filling oil back up to 4 quarts, with no leaks. The motor still sounded perfect the whole way back. I worry about possible damage caused by this stupid mistake though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

If it sounds fine and runs fine, then it IS fine. Just don't do that again.

An oil leak there has killed many an engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Definitely not looking to do that again. I didn't even know about the leak until half way to the show. New Bendix screws are being ordered tonight along with fan belt, fan pulley, and fan blade (the bushing is shot in the original one). Once I got the leak fixed I turned it on and off a few times to demonstrate at the show and everything sounded fine, sounded really good in fact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration