OT> Coumpter problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT> Coumpter problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

A couple of weeks ago lighting took out my brand new Coumpter, I took it to the shop and the guy said he could build me a new one with some of my old parts that didn't get fried from the lighting strike. Well the rebuilt Coumpter is noisy but does work, problem is it turns itself on in the middle of the night, is there a fix for this? I should add that it is Windows 10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Take a look at the system settings, you can choose what the computer response is to the power button.

On my Windows 10 tablet, it defaulted to "sleep" instead of "off" when I turned the power off! I guess Microsoft wanted it on all the time so that they could load updates in the middle of the night. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

And if you don't want Microsoft stealing data off your computer you may want to install Spybot Anti Beacon. They were so alarmed at what Microsoft was doing in the background that they wrote this free software which kills all the settings Microsoft uses to get at your data. If you're any kind of researcher, inventer, writer, doctor, lawyer etc I think you don't want Microsoft making copies of all your personal files and data. Be warned though that you have to run the software after each Windows update as Microsoft may create new settings to get around your blocking them out.

Garnet

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Solution.

Ubuntu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

"Winver" will confirm that you have the newest flavor of Windows 10 which is 1703. There are "sleep" mode and "hibernation" mode settings to consider. You also may want to adjust your advanced power settings (pictured) which is found by {Start, settings, system, power and sleep, additional power settings, choose when to turn off the display, change advanced power settings}. There are also power settings in BIOS but they vary from computer to computer and have little to do with MS updates.
Vern
advanced power settings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Fred may have the answer. Linux. Take back your computer and you make the decisions. Not an advert, just an observation.
I use OLD Puppy Linux 528. There are a couple more Linux users here. It does work basically the same as a mac or windows.
I'm also glad that there are windows users here that know how to use their systems. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration