Transmission shaft alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Transmission shaft alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Having some trouble aligning the transmission input shaft. I have checked the crankshaft flange at three different radius and it's flat. Removed any burrs around the bolt holes. The flange feels nice and flat. I have a set of new locating pins which I place in the flange, then install the input shaft over that, tightening it down. Then with a dial gauge I check for run out. I can easily make it real bad +0.020", but have trouble getting it to under 0.010". I had the input shaft in a colette on the lathe and it's flange is square. So.... I tried aligning the transmission shaft without the pins and I can get it dead nuts on. But, one pin will drop in place and the other is snug. If I push that snug pin in with a hammer, now the transmission shaft is out of whack again. My question is how to repair this. Is it a pin problem or a hole problem. Should I polish a pin or a hole, both? I get the same results after turning the shaft 180. Ideas? Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

You don't say if the crank has been reground. If that is the case it could have been ground off center. This would have the locator pin hole off and you will have run out. I have corrected this problem and would be happy to talk you through it. PM your phone number and I can talk you through it if you like.

Under .010" run our is not good. .000" is really good and maybe up to .0015" or so is OK

To much to write up without having all the questions answered

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Here is a solution.

Pm me for more info. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

The crank has not been reground. This is an old crank from an old car that developed a knock. One of the connecting rods was missing a lot of babbit, and that has been corrected. We checked the journals and they are all good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Have you tried rotating the shaft 180 degrees There are two possible positions the shaft can be installed. It's possible that it will fit better when rotated. If so, mark things so that it can be installed in that position.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration