Cleaning Ford Timer questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cleaning Ford Timer questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Really trying to get everything cleaned up and good to go with my new-to-me 26 coupe. The car runs great and it's timing is spot on. When starting after running it will start up with the crank with one light pull, every time. I'm working on cleaning up used, dirty, or worn parts though. I'd like to pop my Ford timer off and clean it/lubricate it since I've easily done 150 miles+ since I've had the car and who knows how many miles are on it without maintenance before that. I know I need to loosen the generator bolt that holds the timer cover in place. You can then pull the timer. My question is how easy is it to put the timer back on? By just popping it back on is my timing going to be changed now? Do I need to re-time it? Any other pointers on timer cleaning? I have a new Anderson timer I'd like to add eventually but with how well the car currently is timed and running I think I'll leave the Ford timer on for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

One thing to remember with the Anderson,always retard the spark before stopping the engine! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

I have found that after about 500 miles, the anderson can be left in any position when stopping the engine (not so when new!)...at least mine can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

The answer to your question is no. Unless you somehow bent the control rod, there's no need to reset the timing. Yes, it goes back on just as you took it off. With a Ford type roller timer you just clean it out and lubricate again. Ford said oil it. Some use Vaseline. Royce packs his full of grease. I've never used one, so I don't have an opinion on which lube is best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

loosen and drop the piece down that hold the timer, remove the cotter pin from rod and take it off. Remember to replace the cotter pin. Oh and pay attention to where the wire go, don't want them pinched or the fan belt rubbing on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

I clean my Ford roller-timer every time or every other time I fill the gas tank. -Because I don't want to wear out the treads on the parts that hold the commutator case spring (timer spring) against the timer, I drilled a safety-wire hole across the bolt head, screwed it in not overly tight, and used a hunk of safety wire to assure it wouldn't unscrew itself. -I did the same thing with the oil plug at the bottom of the crankcase—safety-wired it so I wouldn't have to screw it in too tight. -Also safety-wired the plug at the bottom of my carburetor bowl. -Safety wire pliers are not particularly expensive. -

Because cleaning the timer is a fairly frequent bit of maintenance, I replaced the cotter-pin that holds the actuator arm in the timer housing with a hitch-pin clip. -It's much easier to install and remove than a cotter-pin.

I've lubed my roller-timer with everything from 3 in 1 Oil to regular 5W30 motor oil. -I think I like the motor oil best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:18 am:

RE: hitch-pin clip
I use the same thing, also on the carburetor rod.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration