My version of an oil lamp LED conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My version of an oil lamp LED conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

A few days ago I posted a few photos of the LED fixtures I made in the "what have your done to your T in July" thread. Several people PM'd me asking for details. So I thought I'd. Post a couple more photos of the finished conversion. The 6 Volt LED bulbs came from SuperbrightLEDs.com and the sockets came from Pep Boys. I modified the sockets and welded up the fixtures. The important thing with these bulbs is they must face towards the lense. So I designed the fixture to do that. Here are two photos showing the LED bulb in the oil lamp, and one showing the stop circuit on. I attach a ground wire to the fixture mounting stud to ensure a reliable ground. As you can see, they are very bright, yet draw very little current.
l1
l3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

A couple more photos.
pr
pi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I finished the pair today. I added grommets to protect the wires where they come down from the fixture as in the photo above. All wires are soldered and I added blackened cloth fiberglass sheathing to the wires for protection and appearance.

I'm not yet ready to mount them, but I wanted to see how it would look outside in daylight. So here's a shot sitting in the driveway hooked up to a little 6 volt battery. I think other drivers will notice.

done
tst

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Good job! LEDs are a great addition as long as they are close to the line of sight. They use a pittance of juice compared to conventional Edison bulbs and obviously don't get any where near as hot as an oil lamp.

Now about your plate- an homage to the Ironclad C.S.S. Fredericksburg?

Do you have a historical connection?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Will you be using them as turn signals? If yes, do these LED units have resistors built in, or will you need to use a special flasher unit made for LED lights?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

No turn signals yet. But if I add them, I'll use a electronic flasher that will work with them.

Dale - very astute observation, and you are correct. Very few people (even in Fredericksburg) know there was an ironclad warship named for the city and terrible battle that occurred here. I'm retired from the navy and am a Civil War reenactor/living historian on the side. I have a keen interest in Confederate naval history. The license plate is my small way of remembering the ship and sailors who represented our fine city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

I was watching the syndicated "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" show a few days ago and the question was "The warship C.S.S. Shenandoah is credited with firing the last shot, across the bow of a whaler near the Aleutian Islands in what war?"

The choices were the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, WWI, or WWII.
The contestant hemmed and hawed a bit, then said it couldn't possibly be the Civil War, because "...all the battles were fought on land." !

Needless to say, she's not a millionaire.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:40 am:

Lol- with the exception of the battle between the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia (often referred to as the Merrimack), the naval war of 1861 - 1865 is all but unknown to people today. A few years ago, the only surviving cannon from CSS Virginia was on display in downtown Fredericksburg. Very few people recognized it's historical significance. It's in storage now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:02 am:

Well Steve, if it's in storage, I would think there would be even fewer people that would recognize it's historical significance. That just doesn't make sense to me. Kind of hard to see it if it's hidden. :-( JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Literally stumbled across this place when I first moved to Georgia: http://www.portcolumbus.org/
It's a MUST see for any history buffs in the area. Fantastic displays and actual artifacts make you feel like your there in that time, well worth the trip.

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration