Floor jack cross beam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Floor jack cross beam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Harbor Freight has a floor jack crossbeam, 4000 lb capacity that you pull off your saddle and set this beam on your jack. My jack is a 35 year old Japanese floor jack with a hole a little larger than the current crop of Chinese jacks. I'll weld a steel extension (pivot pin)onto the crossbeam in the a.m. This would be great for a T front or rear axle, spreading the weight and pressure points. https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-floor-jack-cross-beam-60762.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:15 am:

I bought one of those to use on my Model Ts. But after making an adapter to use with the jack, I found that it will need a block added to each pad before it will clear the center of the differential. The screw adjustments on each end don't quite allow enough "reach."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:54 am:

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of this lifting a T rear end with the needed mods. Seems like a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:20 am:

I made my own. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/521291.html?1425004231

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:26 am:

I made mine out of scrap wood I had lying around. Be sure to bolt the cross-member securely to the jack base (like Steve did) so that it doesn't try to tip when you're pushing on the jack. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Gary - i'd like to see how you modify the crossbeam to fit. I'm following this because I just bought a vintage Walker roll-a-car floor jack and would like to see if the crossbar could be adapter to it.
wkr
wkr(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Steve I bought this jack in 1981, it's been a great one. Anyway the jack beam comes from Harbor Freight with a pivot bolt to attach it to their jacks. My jack had a pull out saddle so I had to weld a pivot of approx 1 1/8'' diameter and 5'' long to the beam. I have 2 old porto- powers left over from my body shop days with a 4 ton capacity and the extensions are tough, just the right diameter. I took a 5 inch extension, centered it in the beam and welded the upper end inside the hole in the beam. The bottom I welded around the outside of the extension where it fit against the beam. It allows the beam to pivot 360 degrees as needed, yet the pivot goes all the way thru the jack holder so it won't pop out. If I want the beam off I can lift it off and drop the jack saddle back in the hole in the jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Thanks Gary. That seems pretty straightforward. Are you going to make taller support blocks for each end in order to jack up a T rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:07 am:

Steve I'm going to weld up a set of plates with extended ends that I can bolt up to the original plates with the rubber pad bolt holes. That way I can use the beam on my modern vehicles too. This shakey pic will give you an idea. If you are in the Lynchburg area shoot me a PM, I'd love to show you my junk....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 06:24 am:

Thats kind of what I envisioned. The HF store is only a mile away, so I stopped by last night to look at one. It looked pretty substantial, but the only one they had was bolted to a jack, so I couldn't see the underside mounting. Thanks for the invite. I'll let you know if I head in that direction.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration