Wick size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wick size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Anybody know what size wick goes in a cowl lamp. Doing a little restoration work.olliie pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

3/8" wicks in the round lamps.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Walmart or Academy as well as the vendors. The square lamps use 1/2" wicks. Kerosene cowl and tail lamps work great and are easy to use.

When loading a new wick, I like to pull the wick back and forth in the burner so the little burner adjustment knob feeds the wick up and down easy. Makes the wick easy to trim and set so it doesn't smoke.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 02:50 am:

I tried a 1/2 inch I had from one of my lanterns and it was just a bit to wide. Tried trimming one and it just fell apart. The old one is in sad shape and just won't feed thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:44 am:

Langs has the good ones. I bought some somewhere else once that were a very loose weave and would not feed well at all. the ones I got from Langs were a much tighter weave and feed well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:50 am:

The wicks won't even feed correctly if you trim the width. The wick barely sticks out of burner wick shaft when it is set to burn correctly so no way to help it up when trying to light it. I need to try some of Lang's 1/2's. They might feed in better. Thanks
Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Carl, a web search turned up two sources for 7/16" wicks, China and England. My lamps were too snug for 1/2" wicks; 7/16" works well. (I bought English wicks.)

Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

I used 3/8 wick from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYLYQ8A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UT F8&psc=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

I had my 9 year old granddaughter put the Lang's 3/8" wicks and oil in 2 of the lamps on my 18 a few days ago.
She did great and the wicks and lamps work great!
I want pics Carl. :-) This is so much fun!

(Message edited by Duey_C on July 21, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Thanks guys, Got the rust cleaned out of the bowls so now just to place the order for new wicks and finish up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

They work! I know it's not much, but every little bit,right.model t cowl lamps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Now that's a really nice touch to a fine looking T!

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I have an original E & J early square lamp that has the wick and it is 3/8 inch wide. The 1/2 inch is too wide for both the repros and the original E & Js that I have seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

My wife says size doesn't matter.

Oh, wait. You meant WICK!

Never mind....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration