An important technical question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: An important technical question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Are "original miles" better than reproduction miles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:05 am:

LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:19 am:

The original miles were usually business related while the reproduction miles are usually for fun.
Therefore the reproduction miles are best ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:57 am:

I was reading a listing on eBad the other day. (Sometimes, I wish I would stop doing that. Sometimes it just tortures me to see cars that I wish I could afford to buy, selling for very reasonable prices, that I should be able to pay.)

But, this one was worth reading the description. It said most of the car was original. Including the gasoline.

Thank you Steve J for the point to ponder!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 04:13 am:

Found it, a 1924 Overland sedan. Read the short description near the bottom of the page, paying particular attention to the last item listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Willys-Overland-/182674004267?hash=item2a8838192b:g :jkwAAOSwpONZVs6U&vxp=mtr

Looks like a pretty decent car with some good possibilities.
I think it has been listed before, a few times. I hope it finds a good home. I have seen a few decent and old restoration cars sell for way too cheap lately. I also wish the seller well. (And no, I don't know who it is or have any connections to the car or them.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 04:13 am:

Found it, a 1924 Overland sedan. Read the short description near the bottom of the page, paying particular attention to the last item listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Willys-Overland-/182674004267?hash=item2a8838192b:g :jkwAAOSwpONZVs6U&vxp=mtr

Looks like a pretty decent car with some good possibilities.
I think it has been listed before, a few times. I hope it finds a good home. I have seen a few decent and old restoration cars sell for way too cheap lately. I also wish the seller well. (And no, I don't know who it is or have any connections to the car or them.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 04:14 am:

Guess I am starting to do that now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:34 am:

Ha ha Wayne...not to worry, I think a lot of us have done that! What gets me is all the T's being sacrificed to be turned into rat rods. Yes, I know it's a guys "right" to do that and all that crap, but.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:42 am:

Steve, reproduction miles are miles put on while riding in a trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:44 am:

I think "original miles" represents the distance between the dealership and the barn where the car was found "fresh". If the car was rancid or stale or found anywhere but in a barn, the miles are not "original".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Have to be careful because many purported "original miles" are really aftermarket or repops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Years ago, it was legal for used car dealers to turn back the odometer of used cars, as long as they turned the odometer back to zero. Subsequently the mileage shown was no longer original miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:07 am:

What's really important is the original air in the tires. Also, I believe my TT still had its original oil. Unfortunately, it was necessary for me to add air and change the oil. It'll never be the same again. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Reproduction miles are shorter, there are very few steep hills. Wereas the Original miles were grueling, the hills much steeper uphill both ways,... at least that's what I will tell my grandkids one day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

My odometer reads a little over 56 miles.

My title states " Unsalvageable "

Their is no trade in value to be had.

Hence - reproduction miles are not an option.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

How many of you actually have an 'odometer' on your 'T'???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Looks like a survivor of the 1925 Miami Hurricane ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

I had an opportunity to drive Rip Van Winkle. I've never driven a car that is so tight and new feeling. I took away one original mile from that car! I've rebuilt several authentic T's over the years, and I put them together to the original specs, but they are never the same as a low mileage original. I just purchased a 1913 Stewart and Clark speedometer that registers 33,429. Those are original miles of course, but I wonder what the car must have looked like? One thing for sure, Stewart and Clark made one hell of a speedometer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Larry, you are a lucky man to be able to drive Rip Van Winkle.

I always thought repro miles (or at least after a resurrection of a clunker) didn't count... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

I wouldn't want to diminish the effort of restoring an old car by giving the subsequent miles a lesser name. Post restoration miles are the result of a lot of blood, sweat & tears. Not to mention dollars and skinned knuckles. And the miles are fully enjoyed by the restorer.

So how about something like "Second Life Miles", or maybe "Rescued Miles" ?

Regarding the legality of turning an odometer back, when I restored my '53 Mercury I ask the speedo shop to set my odometer back to zero so I could keep track of the "post restoration" miles. The guy at the speedo shop said he couldn't due to state law. So I asked him if there was any law against setting the odometer forward. He said no law against that. So I had him reset to 99,999.9.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Sorry to post again here but Dick, you have it absolutely correct and your post struck a chord with me. :-)
"Post restoration miles are the result of a lot of blood, sweat & tears. Not to mention dollars and skinned knuckles. And the miles are fully enjoyed by the restorer."
This WOULD include clunkers like my 24 Crappy-Lizzhe too? Perhaps? Second Life Miles and Rescued Miles apply to that wonderful/unkillable pile of XXXX that's up in my yard. Everyone who has had contact with that charmer, loves him. Kinda like me. Bwahahahaha! :-)
I either have to go for a ride or get out to the shop to work on a nicer clunker. I'll check Lizzhe's gas on the way and if he has some...
Edit, he had some gas.
The steering wheel dirtied my hands but the stack music stirs my soul.

(Message edited by Duey_C on July 21, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Maybe we could call miles driven by a rusty old (rescued) car, "Second Wind Miles".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 07:36 am:

Marv, I have no speedometer, but where ever it is it has my original miles on it and I would like it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

One phrase always adds interest from an onlooker. "This car was purchased by the original owner."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration