You Might Find This Interesting...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: You Might Find This Interesting...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Concerning Marvel Mystery Oil:

"The lubricant was used as a fuel additive in a Lycoming aircraft engine which was specifically cautioned against their introduction (Service Instruction No. 1014M , which also stated their use would void the warranty) which suffered catastrophic damage during take-off. The NTSB listed the probable cause of the accident as "The improper use of [a] fuel additive which resulted in a power loss."[3]

[3].^ Jump up to: a b "N5428H Incident Report Narrative NYC02LA181". National Transportation Safety Board. October 17, 2003. Retrieved March 13, 2016

"Auto manufacturers Ford[6] and GM[7] recommend against using engine oil additives, stating they are unnecessary in their contemporary engine designs and may void their warranties".

[6] "Get Slick: Take the Mystery Out of Picking the Proper Motor Oil". Ford. February 4, 2016. Retrieved March 13, 2016. "We don’t recommend using oil additives and this is noted in the owner’s manual."

[7] "Tech Tips" (PDF). GM Fleet. Retrieved March 13, 2016. "GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicle’s New Vehicle Warranty."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank in Humboldt, TN on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Trolling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

On September 3, 2002, about 1200 eastern daylight time, a Piper PA-18, N5428H, operated by Aerial Sign Company of Hollywood, Florida, was substantially damaged during a forced landing in Belmar, New Jersey. The certificated commercial pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight that departed Allaire Airport, Belmar, New Jersey. No flight plan had been filed for the positioning flight that was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

FAA inspector reported that the fuel in the left wing tank, the carburetor, and the main fuel strainer was red in color, and had an oily feel when touched. In addition, the fuel selector was checked and found to operative with no blockage; the main fuel sump was not blocked; no problems were noted with the carburetor float, and the main jet on the carburetor was absent of debris.

According to the FAA inspector, the additive that was added to the fuel was Marvel Mystery Oil. An empty 1 gallon can of Marvel Mystery Oil was found in the operator's trash. Instructions found on the can stated that the correct ratio for mixing with fuel was 1 part additive to 100 parts fuel. The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Lard? Thats why I use Crisco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Leave it to the FAA to take the mystery out of MMO.

FWIW, my T was running rough with the occasional puff visible out the carb so thinking I probably had an intake valve sticking intermittently I decided to try MMO. You know, balancing the right fix against the right now fix. I didn't know whether it would be better in the fuel (lubricate the top of the valve guide) or the oil (bottom of the valve guide) so I gave it both. The roughness went away so I'm not contemplating using MMO to top up my battery, put a little in the rad to help cooling, and to pour a few ounces in each tube for wheel balancing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Sounds like they looked just hard enough to find SOMETHING and looked no further. Could just as easily have been brought down by carburetor ice and blamed on MMO cause they found the MMO and not the ice. That don't prove a thing. Sounds like it kept his float and main jet free of debris.....Imagine how much worse it would have been without the MMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

*should say "now contemplating" when I talk about pouring MMO in every part of the car. There must be a way to edit posts but I can't find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

This is exactly why I make it a point to never become airborne when driving my Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

I was in Binghamton NY for the past 2 days -actually Vestal and Conklin.
I looked for MMO but couldn't find any.
I'm wondering if someone is purchasing it all to protect us from ourselves!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Jeff,

Good one ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Did not find interesting... (Yawn)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank in Humboldt, TN on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

From Wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

Just citing the source.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

"The Manager of Aerial Signs reported that he had told his pilots to not use Marvel Mystery Oil any more. In addition, he talked to the mechanics, and they had not added it and the pilot reported that he had not added it".

"According to Lycoming Service Instruction No. 1014M, dated May 22, 1995, the use of fuel additives was not recommended, and voided the engine warranty".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Round and round we go----------- I use MMO in my NAA Ford tractor. I'm still waiting for the engine to blow up, rattle the rods and leave engine parts laying out in the dirt, I started using it over 30 years ago and still waiting for it to happen. I think it's going to be a long wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

MMO's data safety sheet reports that its mineral oil content ranges from 60% to 100%.

Mineral oil is a by product of refining gasoline.

So, if mineral oil is a beneficial additive to gasoline then why is it removed by the refineries?

I suspect, but have zero proof, that whoever "created" MMO had been engaged by one or more refineries to haul away and dispose of the mineral oil by product. Rather than pay to dispose of the mineral oil, the contractor added a bit of color and mint scent and sold it as "Marvel Mystery Oil."

If my supposition is correct, then the contractor got paid to haul away the mineral oil and then got paid again to dispense it.

The only mystery involved in the matter for me is why individuals purchase MMO when mineral oil is a lot cheaper and substantially the same as MMO (ignoring whether or not there are any benefits attributable to diluting gasoline with mineral oil).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Cause the can is pretty and the stuff smells good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Marvel Mystery Oil has been produced since 1926.....

Yawn,,,,,,where are the lawsuits shutting down the company, charges of false advertising, record of attributive accidents or punitive damages ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Fred MacMurray may have been using it in his flying Model T in the "Absent Minded Professor", because he is dead now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Vaseline is also a product of crude oil before it is refined into gasoline. Perhaps someone (not me) should try adding it back into their gas tank to see what happens. On the fair side, we have MMO on our shelf and used some when our vehicle had an audibly sticking valve. Twelve miles later down the road the interference engine blew up because of the sticking valve, not the MMO.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Also on one ever mentioned it made their farts smell minty!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Timothy Kelly,

Your supposition may be correct.

If my supposition is correct, then the contractor got paid to haul away the mineral oil and then got paid again to dispense it.

A version of this exists today - some folks are paid to haul away the frying oil from restaurants and fast food chains. The oil is filtered & refined (somewhat) and sold as Bio-fuel. Soon no more "diesel smelling" trucks? Maybe "French Fry" smelling vehicles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

"It should be addressed somewhere in the article that while it claims to increase engine compression that if it actually does so it would lower the octane rating of the fuel simultaneously as it supposedly is comprised of 25% Stoddard solvent, which has an octane rating around 50 and hence could trigger engine knock in the newly high-compression engine".

2600:1004:B106:67BD:5CE:9F84:8525:8462 (talk) 03:42, 11 December 2014 (UTC)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Sorry, I DID find this interesting.
Most of my old engines are too worn out to benefit from MMO but this banter is still fun. :-)
Oh, wait. I have a Twin City engine that needs some loving assistance to get re-started after...... and MMO is waiting in the corner.
I need to get on that and will.

As I understand it, yes, the oil burning vehicles smell a bit like french fries. And it's free. Winter brings other complications to the mix.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

The post and follow-ups are all non-actionable and serve to simply create turmoil on a often-discussed and often-contentious topic.

I could simply cut/paste quotes from any one of millions of web pages as has been done here and so could all of you. There wasn't even a clumsy attempt to tie the topic to "T"s.

I'm with Dennis: Troll

The usual conclusion from the OP is "this forum isn't interested in facts".

Waaaaaaaaiiiitt for it.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Really Scott? You'll have to excuse me then because I was unaware that Forum topics and the contents of postings have to meet your specific criteria.

I can only hope that one day, with hard work, I will be able to rise to your level of posting perfection.

Beware, as I will be starting a new thread that will involve some cutting and pasting as well as some non-actionable items.

The title will be "OT - Automotive Industry in NY". You'll want to avoid this post as I'm sure it won't live up to your superlative Forum posting abilities and it may offend your superior level of intellect.

My thanks to those that found this thread interesting...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:14 am:

As I say often, I read this forum for the comedy and these MMO threads always provide plenty of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:23 am:

I always thought MMO was just one part snake oil, one part Flubber-- until a few drops of it miraculously started Mark O's low compression, fresh engine.

Now I'm convinced it is!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration