Way, Way OT, But useful information. Buyer Beware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Way, Way OT, But useful information. Buyer Beware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

As mentioned in another post, Lighting took out my computer a few days ago. At the same time it took out one of my HDMI ports on my big screen smart tv. Because it was such an expensive TV and I do live in the lighting capital of the US I bought the added Geek Squad plan to go with it ($500.00) thinking the TV was covered in case something bad were to happen to it and I would just get the same TV back as per my policy. I should add that the TV is only about 13 months old. The Geek Squad came to look at it and it was determined that it was not repairable and I should contact the main office for a new TV. I was told that I would only get fair market value for the set or trade it for another tv of a lesser value. They also said it would be technology for technology. I paid $2800.00 for the TV 13 months ago. The best they would give me was a cheaper brand TV without the bells and whistles that I had on the original set and I would have to pay for another insurance policy on the new TV. My TV has 3D technology and I have poured a lot of money into 3D movies for my grandkids to watch. They said the 3D technology didn't span out like they thought it would and could not cover it. The only choice I was given was to either accept the TV offered to me or accept a Best Buy card for $1499.00 of which they say is fair market value and keep the TV. Because Im now boxed in with no real choice and my tv still works on it other ports I took the $1499.00 Best buy card. This is my warning to everyone, Thoes insurance policy's they want you to buy really are not worth that much. I guess I should consider myself blessed that I got anything at all, If my TV would had waited two more years to have a problem I would have got nothing at all! Read the fine print, Your not protected as much as you think you are. Oh, a quick note on surge protectors, I bought the best API surge protector I could find, Turns out that if lighting hits the tv cable line your still very screwed! I even have a surge protection added on my meter from the electric company. Oh well, lesson learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

If you bought the TV with a Visa or Master Card, the "Original Manufacturer's Warranty" may have been doubled...if the original warranty was for one year, the failure to work happened within 24 months, so Visa or Master Card protection MAY help. Check your documents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

I dealt with a similar instance from Home Depot. We were living on a boat and I bought a generator and paid for the warranty adding 3 years to the 2 years covered by the manufacture. About a year into it the generator died so I brought it in, after being directed to 3 different stores and having to ship it to the manufacture this is what I was informed. . .

The manufactures warranty would not cover the problem, the stores warranty would cover the problem but was not valid. The store warranty would not cover the problem because the generator was covered under the manufactures warranty. If I wanted to come back a year later after the manufactures warranty expired then MAYBE they could do something.

On another topic flying back from Thailand with a ceramic mold I had a problem. It seems when I arrived the mold was in a thousand pieces. Bear in mind I had to recover all my bags in NY when I cleared customs and recheck them. At that time nothing was broken. Upon arrival the 3/4 to 1" of shrink wrap had been reduced to less than 1/4". Obviously it had been opened and repackaged without the care initially taken. No claim was allowed for the following reason. . .

The item was not packaged carefully!!!!

Bear in mind they also lost it from NY-Miami (1 flight) so two days later when it arrived I had to drive 2 hours to the airport and pay for parking. Upon asking if there was someone I could talk to in customer service I was informed they did not have customer service and had several police show up. Upon seeing the destruction the police were VERY understanding about how frustraded I was as well as impressed about how calm I was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Myers on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Will,
I had lighting hit my house last year and it took out my TV, microwave, computer, dishwasher and garage door opener. I made a claim with my insurance company and they paid 100% for a complete replacement of all the items. I would check your home owners policy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Regarding electrical surge damage ....

In my previous life I was a master electrician and licensed electrical contractor.

I would document lightning strikes - power surges - utility over voltage incidents for insurance submission claims.

I saw some weird sh*t over the years .....

The biggest threat to susceptible connected electrical loads - whether there are hard wired or plug connected - is daily voltage surges that normally occur everywhere alternating current is utilized.

Protection starts at a properly bonded & grounded electrical distribution point ( service panel ).

Branch circuit protection against higher level electrical surges starts here & is supplemented with plug in strips & similar devices installed between the electrical outlet and the connected load.

In the end - nothing will protect against a direct lightning strike or a sustained over voltage condition from the serving utility ( such as a transformer failure or explosion ).

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

I'm sure if I sleep on this, I'll come up with some ethical reason why this isn't a good suggestion, but right now, I'd consider taking the ckeck from Best Buy and using that to offset your homeowners insurance deductible and file a claim with them.

I certainly do not think that this comes under the warranty of the product or the credit card you used to purchase it. It was not the manufacturers fault your house got hit by lighting.

I have a home in Lakland, FL which has a high rate of lightening strikes and I have a whole house surge protector with a $10,000 replacement policy on any device that is connected to it.

Best of luck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration