Non-Ethanol Gas- prices this high everywhere?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Non-Ethanol Gas- prices this high everywhere?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Upon leaving Hardees in Huntsville AL today, I passed a station that sells non-ethanol gas. WOW! Are prices this high everywhere?
If so, is it worth the price?

Gas prices

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

-Bill-
In our area, I'm finding 'mid-grade' (91 octane) at 45-50 cents per gallon higher.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

That's the price we pay in the Twin Cities for non-oxy premium.

Its use is limited by law; you can't put it in a modern car and it is carried by a small number stations. Subsequently, the limited supply and the limited demand and the fact that it is premium keeps the price high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

About 50 cents a gallon higher than ethanol mix here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

Ours are about 30 to 32 cents difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Beggars the question: why bother?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

In Virginia it's 50-70 cents a gallon more. But i'm glad to have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Picked up some non-oxygenated premium (91 octane) yesterday at $2.87/gallon up here. Mostly using it for boat gas as the Model T is already full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I'm with Charlie. Why bother? I use 10% with no ill effects that I've noticed. As long as you don't let it sit for months, it's OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Steve, Do you find your car is hard to start when hot after sitting for ten minutes or so? Seems like my carb gets real warm from the engine. Might the Ethanol boil away when hot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Cheapest gas in Danville CA $2.79, most are over $3. There is NO non-ethanol gas in the San Francisco Bay area, 100 miles to the nearest non-ethanol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

$ 3.59 a gallon here in northern Michigan, one party store and one marina gas dock carry it near me, otherwise it's about 20 miles away to get the non ethanol 91 octane around here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

That seems high. Non-ethanol gas is about 50-60 cents more on average than its 10% ethanol equivalent.

Why bother trying to explain why ethanol is a problem anymore. That's the question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

All the marinas & airfields up in the Pacific Northwest have clear gasoline only, from what I understand - usually 30+ cents a gallon more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

"Do you find your car is hard to start when hot after sitting for ten minutes or so?" No, my car usually starts easier when it's warmed up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 12:05 am:

I paid $2.65 about three weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 12:55 am:

As Layden says there isn't any non ethanol gas for sale here in central Wackafornia. In the Fresno area the 91 octane gas with 10 % ethanol is $3.35 a gallon, and Jerry Brown's gas tax increase hasn't even started yet !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 08:06 am:

It's about 50 cents higher than low grade, and 20 cents higher than E10 premium.

I burn non-ethanol premium in my small engines that sit a lot. Also burn it in my truck, which requires premium fuel anyway, and gets noticeably better fuel mileage with non-oxy.

In the T's I burn whatever is cheapest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:36 am:

No politics, eh? So this is energy independence?...synthetic fuel, pipelines and fracking will give us lower fuel cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Personally I don't waste my time looking because nothing I own will be hurt by the modern fuel except the fuel pump in my 48 and that was taken care off when I rebuilt the pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 10:39 am:

The grandson just started the Honda power washer that has sat since last fall! I think there is a lot of politics involved as to who see's what! I see by the wind turbines the wind is out of the north east and a payment will come any day now.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

No politics here Bud, just observation. My 2001 GMC does not like the 10% stuff at all. I only use it about 5K per year and every year I have to run top end cleaner through it. I have checked fuel pressure, cat converters and everything else. The issue is pulling even a small trailer with the T it won't stay hooked up in OD. Once I spray the top cleaner through it, it is fine for about a year and will stay hooked up in OD for ever except on steep grades. It causes deposits to build on the intake valve stems. And I have verified it isn't blowby causing it. Have even changed the PCV valve with no change. It makes plenty of power when you put it to the floor, it just doesn't respond the the tiny inputs of the cruise control and once the speed decays by 5 mph it downshifts.

I understand the cost of non ethanol being high due to supply and demand. I also understand that the auto manufactures changed to stainless lines and some other changes to offset the "no difference" fuel.

All of my two stroke stuff is now 100 octane avgas with 2 stroke oil. Avgas isn't an option in the pickup due to the catylitic converters.

If it so good for use and so wonderful, maybe it's time to end the subsidies for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Bill,
2.35 to 2.79 for 87 octane in New Orleans area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Gary,I wish the auto makers would change to stainless brake lines!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Kenneth, that should have been law 35 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Bill non-ethanol is 2.499 in Ardmore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:08 am:

That's about the price here in the Pacific Northwest.
I don't buy it for the Model Ts, but do insist on it for my chainsaws!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 09:33 am:

About $2.65 last week in Bloomington and up North. All small engines, the Vette, and boat are using this stuff. Had to many bad experiences with ethanol crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 09:40 am:

In My model Ts I am not worried, But my 1971 Ford Bronco or any other "Newer" car or my 1974 Cub lo boy 154 I do have concerns about the effects on the die cast parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

6.00 per gal here in Lake/Mendocino Counties. I buy it for my chainsaw. Only one station carries it in Mendocino County which is 45 miles from me. Use reg gas in my T and my '48 8N. My ex has used low octane reg gas in his 2001 Silverado and it has 350,000 miles on it with no rebuilds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

It is $2.90 in Maryland, but the octane rating is like super hi-test.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration