Has anyone used this type of manifold gasket?
I had my manifolds off and replaced the intake and exhaust gaskets with copper crush rings sprayed with copper coat and steel split rings aligning everything.
It was a pain to get everything lined up, but I think I did it. I will test for leaks soon. If I do have any, has anyone tried the gaskets above?
Joe, i use the same style and love them. Its all i use now.
Those will work, but I have no problem with the stock gaskets at a fraction of the price.
I don't know if the steel glands were a little short, or the copper gaskets were a little thick, but after inserting the glands in the block and putting the gaskets on there wasn't much gland sticking out past the gasket. This made aligning things tricky since there just wasn't much gland to grab with the manifold. I think I got everything lined up but it was challenging to do alone.
The one piece copper gasket and gland seems like it will guarantee there will be a flange on either side of the gasket. The downside is the gland is copper and may not support the manifold as well as the steel ones to prevent warping. I also read an old thread where someone had trouble getting the one piece Australian ones to crush because they were too stiff.
Clamps like this help by keeping one manifold in place while you install the other one.
Steve, are those clamps available from the vendors, or are they homemade?
Just turn two of the clamps 90 degrees to hold the manifold while you install the other two. No special tools needed. Try it you'll like it.
Those copper gaskets are excellent. They do crush well, and can take some re-tensioning after a few heat cycles. They are heavy enough to be used more than once.
Steve's tool to hold the manifold in place is an excellent idea. The same thing can be made simply by cutting off one side of a damaged/rusty clamp, but these should not be run up too tight or they will jam on the stud. It is helpful if any clamping force is kept directly over the pads on the manifolds. Otherwise the manifolds can be cocked against the block face.
Allan from down under.
The easiest and cheapest way to do this is: take an old original beat clamp and cut one ear off of it (next to the stud of course). Cheap, quick and easy.
Sorry Allan, I should have read your whole post more carefully. We are on the same wavelength. I have made a couple sets of these, and carry one set with me, just in case
I haven't used the style in John's link but have had much success with the original two piece setup.
Bill, I made my clamps because I didn't have any originals bad enough to cut up.
Nothing special needed. Just hold the exhaust manifold in place with one hand and install clamps vertically on the two inner studs. Push them up against the manifold and run nuts up against them only finger tight. This frees up your hand and now install the intake manifold and place clamps on the front and rear studs in the normal position and snug them up. Back off the two inner nuts and swing those clamps into place and there you are.
I have used those, I prefer the steel glands with copper rings. However either seems to seal well and keep the manifold in place.
To install the manifolds use all 4 hands if you have them, or two hands installing the exhaust first and hold in place with one hand and the intake with the other. Place the clamps on first in a vertical position Then when you get both manifolds in place, carefully move one or more fingers enough to rotate one of the clamps, then do the same with the other hand. Usually this will work. Some have even used a very large c clamp to hold on the exhaust manifold while they place the intake manifold. It's easier to use all 4 hands which in almost every case involves two people.
Come on guys - just have your wife do it...
When replacing the manifold the second time (the split steel glands collapsed) I had glands machined from 1 1/4"x 1/8" SS tubing. That was a couple of years ago and have had no problems since.
I think the manifolds sealed up with the original style gaskets and gland. Had I known about the trick of turning two vertical, I think it would have went a lot easier. I will use that next time I have the manifolds off.