Manifold gaskets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Manifold gaskets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Has anyone used this type of manifold gasket?

http://tgasket.com

I had my manifolds off and replaced the intake and exhaust gaskets with copper crush rings sprayed with copper coat and steel split rings aligning everything.

It was a pain to get everything lined up, but I think I did it. I will test for leaks soon. If I do have any, has anyone tried the gaskets above?

Thanks,
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Joe, i use the same style and love them. Its all i use now.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/copper-manifold-gaskets-992

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Those will work, but I have no problem with the stock gaskets at a fraction of the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

I don't know if the steel glands were a little short, or the copper gaskets were a little thick, but after inserting the glands in the block and putting the gaskets on there wasn't much gland sticking out past the gasket. This made aligning things tricky since there just wasn't much gland to grab with the manifold. I think I got everything lined up but it was challenging to do alone.

The one piece copper gasket and gland seems like it will guarantee there will be a flange on either side of the gasket. The downside is the gland is copper and may not support the manifold as well as the steel ones to prevent warping. I also read an old thread where someone had trouble getting the one piece Australian ones to crush because they were too stiff.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Clamps like this help by keeping one manifold in place while you install the other one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 12:44 am:

Steve, are those clamps available from the vendors, or are they homemade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 01:31 am:

Just turn two of the clamps 90 degrees to hold the manifold while you install the other two. No special tools needed. Try it you'll like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 02:55 am:

Those copper gaskets are excellent. They do crush well, and can take some re-tensioning after a few heat cycles. They are heavy enough to be used more than once.
Steve's tool to hold the manifold in place is an excellent idea. The same thing can be made simply by cutting off one side of a damaged/rusty clamp, but these should not be run up too tight or they will jam on the stud. It is helpful if any clamping force is kept directly over the pads on the manifolds. Otherwise the manifolds can be cocked against the block face.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 06:25 am:

The easiest and cheapest way to do this is: take an old original beat clamp and cut one ear off of it (next to the stud of course). Cheap, quick and easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 06:37 am:

Sorry Allan, I should have read your whole post more carefully. We are on the same wavelength. I have made a couple sets of these, and carry one set with me, just in case

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 07:42 am:

I haven't used the style in John's link but have had much success with the original two piece setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Bill, I made my clamps because I didn't have any originals bad enough to cut up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Nothing special needed. Just hold the exhaust manifold in place with one hand and install clamps vertically on the two inner studs. Push them up against the manifold and run nuts up against them only finger tight. This frees up your hand and now install the intake manifold and place clamps on the front and rear studs in the normal position and snug them up. Back off the two inner nuts and swing those clamps into place and there you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 11:34 am:

I have used those, I prefer the steel glands with copper rings. However either seems to seal well and keep the manifold in place.

To install the manifolds use all 4 hands if you have them, or two hands installing the exhaust first and hold in place with one hand and the intake with the other. Place the clamps on first in a vertical position Then when you get both manifolds in place, carefully move one or more fingers enough to rotate one of the clamps, then do the same with the other hand. Usually this will work. Some have even used a very large c clamp to hold on the exhaust manifold while they place the intake manifold. It's easier to use all 4 hands which in almost every case involves two people. :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Come on guys - just have your wife do it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Robinson on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:20 am:

When replacing the manifold the second time (the split steel glands collapsed) I had glands machined from 1 1/4"x 1/8" SS tubing. That was a couple of years ago and have had no problems since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

I think the manifolds sealed up with the original style gaskets and gland. Had I known about the trick of turning two vertical, I think it would have went a lot easier. I will use that next time I have the manifolds off.

-Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration