Clubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Clubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Have been able to make contact with a couple of clubs. Going to check them out. My question is- what do or did you look for in a club. Do you belong to more than one club. Any other questions I should think of. Thanks, CF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Clubs are just groups of people. Find a group you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Proximity is a factor. In my sparsely populated state there are only three "local" Model T clubs, all of which usually meet two or three hours away. Despite the distances, I'm a member of two of them because they actually DO things, though I can't always attend. The third isn't very active, so I pass on that one.

It takes a certain amount of time and work to have a club, and where there are people willing to put in the time and work you have an active club. There are probably at least a dozen Model T's in my county, but few of them other than mine are ever driven. I doubt that there's enough interest for us to ever have a truly local club.

Like many other Model T folks, I'm in both national clubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Carl
As others have said - find a group you are comfortable with.

I belong to Central New Hampshire Model T club.
They are a touring group that does 100 plus miles drives each month, stops for ice cream, and have fun.

Although I don't tour - it is hard for me to get to the starting point and I don't use my T for long trips
I enjoy going to meetings, learning about my vehicle, and listening to some of the "characters"

In my travels I meet numerous people with T's that are not affiliated with a club.
When I ask them if they know about the Central NH club they say that they don't fit because all it is interested in is the tours.

Sometimes I feel the same way but some of the club people usually make me feel wanted and the contacts are helpful.
I would like to see them expand a bit with an interest in car shows, display/educational meetings, etc. but they are what they are.

Car clubs are a bit like churches with different emphasis and cliques -except there is not one on every corner and they don't meet on every Sunday morning.
Also they have the usual self centered blowhards that like to hear themselves talk so you need to be tolerant. :-)

They are out there - it all depends upon what you want from one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

There aren't enough T guys around here for a club but there is a group called The Half Fast Motoring Society which meets at different restaurants Saturdays for breakfast. Very easy going group with no hard and fast rules---just right for me. Get to see a few old cars, kick tires, share problems and ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Joe F. pointed out the most important part. But if you like to drive your car, find a club which has tours, instead of just meeting once a month for dinner.

For instance, our Arkansas Tin Lizzies club has four meetings a year, in combination with a 3 or 4-day tour each time. And the people in it are GREAT! :-)

Many of us go on other clubs' tours as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

I have found that the members of our local clubs, Model T Ford Club of San Diego, and Hidden Valley Model T Club are some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met. Most would help you any time on a tour or otherwise. Most are down to earth and not snobby at all even those who live in prestigious neighborhoods. We are all friends and the unrestored rusty car gets at least as much attention if not more than the shiniest car. I like these clubs. I have also met some of the others on regional or national tours or swap meets and find them to be very good people too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

No clubs here in Ga for T s. I am in a Model A club that is not very active at all but once a year they will drive to a country fair 100 miles away. Normally only get 12 -15 cars to go.. Most of the members are in poor health. It would be great if there was a T club near here.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

No "clubs" here. That includes most everything, in exchange there is an unofficial email list that goes out when there are events which usually includes a drive in at the very least. Cars can include 20's, 30's 50's, 60's, early 70's, new models. Usually there aren't more than 15 or 20 in total. On the north end of the island they have a show once a year and so that more can participate they open it up to classic planes and boats. That is an impressive $$$ gathering to say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Chad got a cruising club here no dues but on that unoficial email list of gathering cars of all vintages mostly hot rods but group has one thing fun for all and all is welcome to join in as long as your not an A-hole or trouble maker.
Closest T club is 40 miles south and they are pretty active for a small group
I joined go to few outings but not realy meeting type person but i give them support and do enjoy
I probly be more active if i was closer
Never bad idea join a club active or not atleast you made afew friends of common interestz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Sorry to infer that there are blowhards in the Central New Hampshire Model T club, -
There are none in that group!
but there are a few New England "Characters" that make things especially interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Awwww Fred...

You wrote:

When I ask them if they know about the Central NH club they say that they don't fit because all it is interested in is the tours.

Like so many other things in life - that belongs right up there with "fake news". I know that you don't believe that - others do....but the fact is that the Club members are EXTREMELY helpful in keeping the Ts operational. True, there are many books, manuals, well written articles in various publications, - even a troubleshooting chart that Mark recently posted. However, it seems that in many, many instances, there is no better solution to a problem than having a knowledgeable T person (Club member) look at and diagnose a problem.

Tours are great - ice cream (and pizza) are great - but belonging to a Club is invaluable.

Yes, I know that you know this...I just wrote it for Carl's benefit - and all the "lurkers" out there that may be "on the fence" wondering if they should take the time to go to Club meetings.

And most importantly - as Joe said - find a group of people you like - personal chemistry is the glue that binds and makes enduring friendships :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Tim,
sent you PM. I agree, no T club in GA. Let's see if we can change that. I'm in the Atlanta area and I know GA is a large state, but I have run across some other forum members on here and let's put our heads together and see if we can, at least, come up with an internet group or something that gathers depending on the availablity.

Wonder if the national club will provide us with a list of names and addresses for GA members?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Awww. Dave, not fake news :-)

I was just reporting what I have heard from numerous local people with T's that I have mentioned the club to.
I don't think it is anecdotal because it has come from at least 5 of them.

I know that it is not true but it is what some people are saying.

It would be nice if we could find away to let more people know we exist and reach out to them.

One guy was getting help from Roland but is afraid of his T. My wife and I made arrangements to met him at a coffee shop in Durham with our T and I took him for an extended ride. I offered to take him to a club meeting and he said that he had attended a meeting with Roland and was not interested in going on tours. I just couldn't make a connection with him.

Also, I have met several people with T's at car shows that say the same thing when I mention the club. In almost all cases I offer to have them attend a meeting with me but they politely refuse.
(I am beginning to think I need to take my weekly bath BEFORE going to a car show! JK)

Sometimes a reputation is hard to overcome.

But back to the original point- belonging to the correct club for you is important and the key is fitting in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

I used to belong to clubs, but they became too restrictive for me. When I go to the shows I let the children inside my car. My Thery is that you can show a child a car thousand times but you let that same child sit in it just once and they'll remember that for the rest of their lives. Most of the clubs I used to belong to frowned on allowing people in the car so I stopped belonging to clubs. Now I go to the local cruise and the kids lineup just to sit in the car. It is an experience They will never forget. Hopefully some day that experience will push them towards owning a model T, possibly when I'm too old to operate mine one of those children might buy it for themselves. Plus, I do enjoy looks I get driving my car down along strech of road .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Both of you are probably correct, as you have experienced those respective reactions. As for me, I have not.

To me, the best part about joining a club is the ability to make connections...there are folks I've met and come to appreciate their knowledge and respect who live many miles from my home. I would never have know of their existence on this planet if it were not for joining them at a club meeting.

As far as I know, tours are not mandatory. Like other things in life...observe, look, listen - take what you want and leave the rest. :-)

To each his own...many folks have helped me solve problems quite fast that would have taken me days or weeks to "muddle through" the solutions on printed material.

Fred, maybe see you at the next meeting...retirement for me eliminates the necessity of being out of town these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

In years gone by I have given presentations on the Model T Ford and related topics. If a club is looking for a speaker at one of its meetings, contact me and I will see what we can put together. At this time I am confining my travel to western NY State, Vermont, southern Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

In the FWI worth Dept., the Clubs in Trent's travel area ought to take him up on that offer!

That's a wonderful offer Tent. Very kind and hospitable of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Hooksett NH is less than an hour from where Trent lives!

Hint Hint Hint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 10:03 am:

One suggestion for the OP is not to rush into anything. If you were moving to a new state, you would probably rent a house or apartment before buying so that you would get to know the area.
If you base your club decision on just one meeting, it may or may not be a true representation. I have also found that going to some sort of mixer or informatl gather of the members you can get a more realistic picture of the membership than you would at the monthly lunch meeting.

Just attend a few meetings and events and you'll know what is the best fit for you. Some clubs are tourers, some are technical advisors, some are story tellers. Bite off what you want to chew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Fred - that is true - and I'd welcome the opportunity to hear whatever Trent has to say about the T. However, in all fairness, the "Person in charge" of the evening's activities should co-ordinate Trent's invite with whatever else is going on that night. (I've emailed our officers with Trent's invitation). Would be nice to have as much of the meeting as possible reserved for his words.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration