Best solvent to clean a starter?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Best solvent to clean a starter?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

The bible states I should use gasoline to clean a starter. I do not plan to remove the windings, but the rest of the starter is taken apart. Would kerosene work just as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

"Electromotive" aerosol works well - dries fast !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

"HF Contact Cleaner" by CRC works well. You want something that cleans up the goop but dries without a leaving a residue behind.
Any stuff made to clean electrical motors and switches should work, or maybe some good old carb cleaner.

I'd stay way from Gasoline- those fumes can linger inside the case awhile just waiting for the spark between the armature and the brushes....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

gas is a good cleaner,but care is needed,when job is finished put old gas away where its safe.then use the blow gun to dry things,being carefull not to blow to hard on winding's.greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

I would shy away from anything involving alcohol, including most gasoline today. Alcohol is the one thing that dissolves shellac. And shellac used to be used as a major component of electrical insulation. It only takes a very small amount of alcohol to soften and wash away old shellac.
I have used cheap paint thinner (mineral spirits) to clean starters and generators. I use as little as needed because it does tend to leave some residue.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration