No washers on outboard end of inside roller bearings?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: No washers on outboard end of inside roller bearings?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Does anything go on the outboard end of the inside axle roller bearings, or sleaves?

I'm not seeing anything on the service or axle manuals...

Just 'seems like something ought to go there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

No washers, but a common item used on the axle shafts is this.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2511F.aspx

I used three per side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Unless you are installing modern seals, I use these;
https://www.modeltford.com/item/2511W.aspx
Would keep some grease in and the felt if is shifted out of the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

There is a steel washer to keep the roller bearing from chewing up the felt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

I had to re-read that, he is asking about the wheel side of the inside bearing...so nothing. If you did any lube that got on the other side would stay in the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Only seals are on the outer bearing
Diff. assembly inner bearing (space) then going out ward inner seal outer bearing outer seal wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Nothing goes in the place you are asking about. The description of the part posted by Steve J. says it goes inside the outer bearing, and it is something not used by Ford. I can't imagine what good they would do there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

If you are talking about the felt, yes Ford did say to use them in service esp if leaks developed. The drivers side is more prong to leakage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Very good, all... Nothing in that spot... cool. I have modern seals on the o utera and did stuff one or two of the felts Steve noted, before all. Guess I shoukd be good.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

The giant felt washers are not a ford part. They're a popular aftermarket item to help keep differential oil from reaching the outer bearings. Whether using them or not, I would certainly use the neoprene seals inside the outer bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 07:50 am:

I have new longer axles on my current rebuild. When I put the wheels on I found that the hole for the castle nut is outboard. So I guess the hub is worn. I have the option of finding a better hub, using a shim which will push the hub outboard ... or putting a washer over the hub to bring the castle nut to a place where there is a hole for the cotter pin. Don't have any money for a new wheel right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:11 am:

There's nothing wrong with using a hefty washer under the castle nut so that the cotter pin fits correctly. Before you do that, check to make sure that the hub bolt nuts inside the brake drum don't hit anything inside (like the spring perch nut). If there is interference, then another hub or an axle shim is the way to go. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration