Caveat Emptor!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Caveat Emptor!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

I bought an engine that was supposed to be rebuilt. When it arrived at my place and I got it UN-crated I realized my hopes of a quick engine swap were gone it didn't look "right" for a rebuilt engine so I took the head off and saw this.

Corrosion in the cylinder and if you look close at the valve toward the bottom of the picture it is not completely seated. I called the man that sold me the engine and when confronted he agreed the engine was not rebuilt as he had paid for so we came up with a deal Where I kept the engine (looks like a low mileage 26 stored in unfavorable conditions) so he did the right thing but I thought I would show some pictures of what I found on tear down so others might ask a few more questions such as do you have any pictures of the work done?
The valve show little wear and have almost no slop in the guides

but they are 2 piece so will be replaced. The crankshaft shows corrosion on all journals that was smoothed not polished.

The crank will be replaced because I don't like exclusive clubs such the 2 piece crank club!
The pistons are original cast iron standard size and the bores are good except for the corrosion in number 1 & 4 so I will probably go with .030 over sized aluminum. The cam may be usable

The rod caps are all showing uneven wear

The yellowish looking stuff on the block is clear silicone which someone used on the head gasket and all other gaskets in sight.
# 2&3 cylinders look good and would be usable

but # 1 looks like this

and # 4 Looks like this

If you are going to buy something expensive if at all possible look at it or have someone trusted look at it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Looks about like a "rebuilt" engine that came in a TT I bought once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

I would be looking to get some money back on that one.
Next time ASK what was rebuilt about the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

G.R. Are you sure your last name isn't Dangerfield? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Mark I did get some money back
Jay Well...I was adopted...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

It looks like your "rebuilt" engine needs a complete rebuild. But it appears to be a low-mileage unit, so you have a good one to work with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Oh yuck.
My Crappy-Lizzhe's bores look better than that!
Aha! A Lenoir engine! (Compressionless)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

A couple of other thoughts. Be sure to have the block and head milled to be sure they're flat. And since it appears to be a low-mileage engine, you probably could have the crankshaft turned 10 & 10 and go with it. If it has already been turned a time or two, then I'd consider a different crank. Balancing and aligning all the components from the crankshaft through the entire transmission makes a world of difference, in both how smoothly it will run and its life expectancy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Looks like someone did some work but not well and also has signs that it sat for some time
I never take ones word unless i can see the insides

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

There are a heck of a lot of engines that people call rebuilt, you know valve job, hone cylinders, adjust mains and rods, new rings and gaskets. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

G.R.

Would have been better to take your issues directly to the seller..... sometimes we get exactly what we purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Guys, he did take the issue directly to the seller, and worked it out, he's just showing us what some folks think is "Rebuilt."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

When I bought my TT project years ago the guy told me he had "gone through" the engine. I haven't looked inside yet to see what that means. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Bob: I did take my issues directly to the seller and we renegotiated the deal, That is why their name is not in this post, I believe they were misled and an equitable solution was reached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Honest mistakes can be made.

When I bought my Ruckstell on Ebay, it was advertised as rebuilt, then stored for an extended period of time. The Ebay seller had bought it in an estate sale and that was the story he was given by the estate.

When I took it apart, it was clear that the estate owner had indeed gone through it, but had neglected to replace the trashed ring gear (it did have a new pinion gear). It also had Babbitt thrust washers. The rest of the parts were good, but had been assembled into a unit mainly for storage, there was no lubrication of any kind in the unit.

I bought a new ring gear and replaced the ball bearing, the planet gear pins, the Hyatt bearing sleeves, and of course replaced the Babbitt thrust washers with bronze on the advice of Stan Howe. I also installed a Fun Projects pinion bearing kit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration